Project: The New CDD Shop Truck

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Egts can be tricky to explain, but the two biggest contributors to high egts are too much fuel and a restriction of air flow. The reason why you hit a brick wall past a certain point with these turbos is the hot side wheel. The cold side which compresses air into the intake, is big enough to supply 26-27 psi, especially with the 60-1 mod, but the hot side cannot flow enough exhaust to support that kind of boost level. You start getting higher egts because more and more exhaust gets left in the combustion chamber, not allowing cool, intake air in. This restriction for the intake air brings your boost level up. This is why boost does not equal a higher power level, it’s just a measurement of restriction in the intake. I am making more power at 14 psi now than I was at 26 because of this.
Makes a little more sense. Thanks
So if the back side of the turbo was bigger and we moved more exhaust out boost would decrease as well egt?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if the back side of the turbo was bigger and we moved more exhaust out boost would decrease as well egt?
To a certain degree yes, the turbo would be running much more efficiently

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To a certain degree yes, the turbo would be running much more efficiently

If my understanding of how turbos work is right... Wouldn't that affect how early boost builds? The larger exhaust housing would cause the turbo to spool later basically shifting the RPM band up some depending on how big you went right?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If my understanding of how turbos work is right... Wouldn't that affect how early boost builds? The larger exhaust housing would cause the turbo to spool later basically shifting the RPM band up some depending on how big you went right?
Yes assuming you have no change in fuel or timing, but the tech in these turbos now are so good a lot of times they spool the same or even faster depending on how big you go.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad my rambling is helping someone!

Drove the truck 5-600 miles yesterday. Went north of Houston to drop off an engine, then met up with a buddy who lives out there, no issues other than the leaking fuel gauge. Spent some time shooting the bull and picked up a baby nitrous kit he had sitting in his shop. Got it installed this morning and started out with a 50 shot with a .48 jet, then put in a .78 jet and ohhh boy did it move. Bottle didn’t have much in it so only got one or two hits but I’ve got another bottle that’s pretty full just got to order a different bottle nut for it. Here’s some pics of the install
You must be registered for see images attach

Going to use the wet portion of the kit for my water **** setup to run on the street. Nitrous will be for dyno/track. Price has gone down a lot per lb but still really pricey to use on the street.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a clip I finally got uploaded from the other day, pulling up a 7% grade at 88 mph on cruise control with ac blasting
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Boost was at 8 psi and egts were around 950 at the top, so around half throttle since it will do 16 psi at that rpm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online