Project Revival

Tlrfshr

Reaction score
Well, I decided to start a project thread for my 1994 Ford F-250, 7.3 IDI N/A.

I’ve always wanted a diesel truck and as I began looking around, I settled with an older model truck due to the availability of parts and the fact I wanted to build a custom truck.

I ended up purchasing this truck for $4,000 and I plan to document all the parts and expenses along the way as well as get help from the large amount of knowledge on this forum!

Enough of my blabbing, I’ll get right into it.

The Start:

The interior was in desperate need of TLC. The carpet was shot, panels were cracked, broken, or missing, and the steering wheel leather is coming off. I went ahead and ripped everything out to start with and clean all of the metal of any dirt and debris since 1994.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tlrfshr

Reaction score
After doing so, I realized I wanted to go further and upgrade the audio while I’m doing all of this. I reached out to Crutchfield and purchased 6.5 Inch Speakers for the front and 5x7 speakers for the rear. Both sets are Memphis Audio and should provide a much better sound quality.

To have quality sound, you need to deaden any road noise or vibrations in the cab. I ordered a roll of FatMat sound deadener to lay down inside the cab and the back wall. I’m pretty much done with that minus a few more places to cover. I plan to finish that up this weekend.

While doing that, my speakers And a new third brake light came from UPS. I went ahead and installed both items in / on the truck.

Tlrfshr

Reaction score
All of this leads me to a couple questions for you all.

First, where I can purchase a new end for my radio antenna cable? The PO broke the factory one and I would like to get this fixed if possible. I have attached a picture of it.

Second, on the transmission tunnel, the silver cover has quite a bit of black sealant oozing from under and around it. Additionally the bolts holding it down are loose. Before I tighten them, should I got ahead and remove the cover, clean it up and reseal it? If so, what kind of sealant do I need to buy?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When I replaced the one in my Bronco, I used some windshield sealer to seal it back down. Looking back, that may not have been the best option. I may have been very hard to get the cover back off if needed. I have no idea since the guy I sold it to let it go to the scrapyard to get crushed. I've been thinking about this lately and have decided that the next time, I'm going to use some silicone to seal it up. At least that will let it come back off easier.

Tlrfshr

Reaction score
When I replaced the one in my Bronco, I used some windshield sealer to seal it back down. Looking back, that may not have been the best option. I may have been very hard to get the cover back off if needed. I have no idea since the guy I sold it to let it go to the scrapyard to get crushed. I've been thinking about this lately and have decided that the next time, I'm going to use some silicone to seal it up. At least that will let it come back off easier.

Okay, so I’ll find some type of sealer / silicone then. Thanks!

Surprisingly, FedEx came with some packages today. I was able to get the mirrors replaced with ones from LMC Truck. No more rusty mirrors!

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used some silicone first as a gasket and let it dry before bolting it down.

Those big screws just thread into the little clip deals and could be replaced from any auto parts store easy. While you're at it check out the condition of everything underneath before you seal it up.

Tlrfshr

Reaction score
I used some silicone first as a gasket and let it dry before bolting it down.

Those big screws just thread into the little clip deals and could be replaced from any auto parts store easy. While you're at it check out the condition of everything underneath before you seal it up.

When you say check the condition, other than the transmission in general, what specifically needs to be checked?

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say check the condition, other than the transmission in general, what specifically needs to be checked?
I have a T-19 in mine and when I had the cover off I fixed the broken reverse switch and changed the oil. Also added a vent tube to the transfer case and zip tied some wires that were resting on the front drive shaft. The bottom and top of that plate needed some cleaning up so I wire wheeled and then cold galvanized it as well.

Yours being a ZF5? I am not sure what to look at but any wiring is always nice to check for broken or loose connectors, clean up connectors, and add some more dielectric grease that may have worked its way out over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online