Project! Introducing Smokey Pete, the 1989 F250.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update time.

It goes.

But really, that's the update. I drive it everyday, and I love it. I get thumbs up at every single stoplight I stop at. Offers to buy it from every mechanic and tire shop I visit (ok, that's like 3, from picking friends up). Runs great, gets 17mpg city and 21 on a trip to Seattle. (Note to self: the cab insulation is there to keep heat out. No AC and 106deg weather is rough).

Now that we're on the opposite side of the thermometer, I replaced the battery cables. I was having fits with charging/starting, so after a quick glance I saw my cables were so full of corrosion it's a miracle they carried any current at all. So I replaced the cables with 2/0 welding lead (1x 3ft, 1x 4ft, 1x 5ft) and a 4/0 cable (1x4ft) to the starter. Used 3/8 ring terminals crimped into the ends and military style lugs from Amazon on the batteries.
Also upgraded to Die Hard Group 31 batteries from Carquest.
While I was playing with sparks, I upgraded my alternator to the 3g one from a Windstar. And since I was bored (ha!) I upgraded my glow plug solenoid to the good, beefy White Rogers one.

Fires off RIGHT AWAY now. I'm incredibly happy with it. Coldest it's been so far is 20f, and no issues starting at all.

I am sorry though, I forgot to take photos along the way. I'll see if I can snap a photo of the engine compartment here soon.

Oh, and I waxed it again. Used three stages of compound, polish, and wax (Meguairs Ultimate line) and couldn't be happier. He shines now.

You must be registered for see images attach

And, beyond that, he took us fishing, hunting, lots of dump runs, dirt bike trips, and lots of family memories.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online