Project! Introducing Smokey Pete, the 1989 F250.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good and love the progress! Man when you attack something you git r done!

I didn't see anyone else respond but that radiator looks just like my Spectre from NAPA. Lifetime warranty but I doubt they will honor that since you didn't buy it. I've had 2 leak and am on #3, but the first leaked out of the box. Using a 7# cap helps the system not poop out.

Happy wrenching!

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I've been off work for two weeks, and my goal is to drive this one when I head back on Monday, so I've had a fire lit under me to get it done!

Made good progress. Front clip all reinstalled, filled with oil, coolant, and reconnected all the wires.

And then the "fun" began. Attempting to splice a 6.9 harness into a completely hacked up 7.3 harness is no joke. Nothing original, nothing where it was supposed to be. I think I have an amalgamation of an 89, a 90, and an 86, based on my books wiring diagrams. It was a fiasco.

This was my day. ALLLLLLLL day. Two days actually, and it ran into the next morning about 2am.
You must be registered for see images attach

And from the PO's paperwork, it was in and out of the shop all the time for hard starting. I found more cut up wires in that harness than complete ones. Crumbling connectors, and about a third of the glow plugs weren't even connected in the loom! Some shop that was, they just kept throwing a new controller at it.

But that was fine with me, I wanted to do full manual anyway. So I ditched the controller completely, ran a hot wire with a big fuse to one side of the relay, jumped it to the top short leg, and have a switched ground on the bottom leg. Seems like it works well!

Kinda hard to see here, I forgot to take a pic before I mounted it. I moved it up on the passenger fender well to keep things a bit cleaner in the engine bay.

Then, after everything was connected, I cranked. And cranked. And cranked.
Knowing what I do now, I wish I would have filled the fuel filter with diesel first, I think that took a lot of time. And now it's turning over too slow to fire off, so I got to waxing away the oxidized paint.

Whooowee! What a difference! I was shocked! I'll post better pics when the shop is cleaned up or I can drive him outside!

Front quarter done

Whole truck

Here's what I used. Awesome stuff!

Next step, see if I can get it to fire up! Here's hoping! That, and an air filter, and I'm there!

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HE LIVES!! Got it to fire off! Woohooooooooooooo!!!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ok, now a question -

The fan shaft (that's not the crank shaft, right? I haven't torn apart the lower end of an engine yet) looks to be wobbling. There's a chance it's a misfire that's causing a wobble of the whole engine. But I think my pulley shaft is bent. The engine was pulled from a truck that was in a front end collision (with a guard rail) and the fan itself was slightly mangled.
So, question. A) how big of a deal is it to replace this shaft? Is it a while lower end tear down? Or, B) how bad is it if I run it like this?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Edit: looks like that's the water pump in there, and it's the water pump shaft that's probably bent. That sound right? That was from me scouring the nickpisca site, which I think is @genscripter here, maybe? If so, thanks! for documenting all your processes so well!

Last edited:

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the fan wobbles, its very likely the bearings in the water pump has gone out and the pump will need replaced.

Will I need to drain the coolant before pull the pump? I just dumped brand new fresh stuff in there, and I've get to successfully capture and reuse coolant. Would be a bummer to lose all that.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! That's what I was afraid of.

Anyone ever successfully drained and reused coolant? Any pro tips?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on the style of drain petcock your radiator has you might be able to attach a hose to it. Other than that use a flexable funnel and tie it up in a way the coolant flows into it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a drain pan specifically for coolant. Put it under the radiator drain, open it up and wait. When it gets mostly full I close the drain, pour it into a bucket and then go again.

Afterwards, I put a shop rag into a funnel and fill it slowly, the shop rag filters out any particles that may be in the coolant. It's not fun, but it does the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online

No members online now.