Project: BTB

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I love adding fun upgrades along with standard repairs. Sometimes you need more reward for the blood and sweat haha.

Can't help you with the shimming question though :(

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are that close, you may just need some fresh bushings in there. What you are describing is a body lift in miniature. When I put my new bushings in, my cab actually sets higher than the body line on the bed. I need small spacers under it before it gets bolted down. Since I'm redoing it, I will probably weld them to the bed so there is no sliding around.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Update:

Truck is on the road, running fine

Glow plugs cycle well, with all new ZD9s and a new relay. No more loud clack clack clack of the relay after every glow. They do cycle the full amount 10 secs or so, every time tho? even when warm is that normal. I dont know as Ive never had a 100% new working system before lol

I had to clearance the firewall a little more, because im pretty sure my body mounts are shot, and didn't have time to replace the mounts. I accidentally went a little heavy with the sawzall and cut into the first layer of the firewall, as I could see a little bit of foam. Whoops
You must be registered for see images attach

Not the best pic

So I took some high temp RTV and filled in the area and smoothed it out. I'm not too worried about fire, mainly water.

Im making about 7PSI of boost currently unloaded. I dont start to see boost until around 1700-1800RPM roughly. When im on the highway going about 65-70 im at about 2300RPM and I am making about 4PSI. Im still using the stock intake as I need to weld the new one Ive made. Sadly I didnt hook up a boost gauge before I did any of this so I have no base line of what I was making.

I didnt get as much done as I wanted, but there is still time, just needed the truck to finish the nursery

Little sound bite for ya
https://vimeo.com/175701520

Last edited:

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Update:

My friend came over and we/he timed the truck today, man oh man was i "retarded" for not checking this sooner... literally I was 2 degrees ATDC, After a few tries we got the truck dialed in to roughly ~9.4 BTDC. The engine sounds about the same, but im hoping my MPG go up. and it will decrease my EGTs as well. I dont have a gauge to tell, but from what ive read this should help.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the very informative post, the pictures are really helpful! Based on your experience do you think that I'm being overly optimistic thinking that I'll be able to get the turbo kit from Russ installed on my NA engine in 2-3 days working by myself? I've been soaking the exhaust manifold nuts and and studs with PB Blaster for a few weeks and was able to get the nuts holding the factory exhaust to turn with out breaking. I hope I'll have the same luck with the studs. After reading this the other big concern is the firewall massage. Like you, I don't have time to replace the cab bushings.. I'm assuming that you did the Sawzall cut from the top side and then used a Porta power, which I don't have. I think Pelky said that he used a small sicsor jack. I guess I'll go that route. DI'd you find that there was any facet of the job that you couldn't have done by yourself?
Thanks again for posting this, it's invaluable to a idi fng like me.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Thanks for the very informative post, the pictures are really helpful! Based on your experience do you think that I'm being overly optimistic thinking that I'll be able to get the turbo kit from Russ installed on my NA engine in 2-3 days working by myself? I've been soaking the exhaust manifold nuts and and studs with PB Blaster for a few weeks and was able to get the nuts holding the factory exhaust to turn with out breaking. I hope I'll have the same luck with the studs. After reading this the other big concern is the firewall massage. Like you, I don't have time to replace the cab bushings.. I'm assuming that you did the Sawzall cut from the top side and then used a Porta power, which I don't have. I think Pelky said that he used a small sicsor jack. I guess I'll go that route. DI'd you find that there was any facet of the job that you couldn't have done by yourself?
Thanks again for posting this, it's invaluable to a idi fng like me.

I did most of the job myself, I had a hand with putting the exhaust in and getting the turbo off.

I think it is possible, I'm not sure if you drive this truck on the regular, but I would try to do as much of the prep work as possible before hand.

Not sure if you are using TYP4's braided oil feed line, but if you notice I had trouble in my post getting it on, install the 90 elbow while you have the manifolds off, also if you are gonna wrap the pipes do that too while the parts are off.

If you haven't already get new hardware, I installed all new stainless bolts on my turbo and used never seize. I'd get a new CDR valve as well

Remember to leave the bolts on the cold side loose as you will have to clock the turbo to get it into the install snail (be careful because they strip easy)

For the firewall I'd go as big as you can, I used a sawzall with the blade turned around so I could get deeper cuts, I think the scissor jack should work, I didn't pull my up pipe so it was tight in there, but without it you should have plenty of room. I made my initial cuts and folded them over, but I still hit so I had to cut more, I ended up cutting more than I wanted too, I could see the fiberglass liner that's inside the firewall, but I covered it with some red RTV and it has been working fine!

If you look at my pictures you can kind of guess where the turbo DP is gonna go so you can get a good idea of where to open it up without having to mock the turbo up.

Best of luck,

Pm me your cell and I can text you with any help you may need if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did most of the job myself, I had a hand with putting the exhaust in and getting the turbo off.

I think it is possible, I'm not sure if you drive this truck on the regular, but I would try to do as much of the prep work as possible before hand.

I'll be doing the job solo, outside and without air tools...
Truck is our dd and a tow rig for our 9000# off grid full time RV home
Other than just poking around, trying to familiarize myself with what I've got to do for the installation, I've sprayed the exhaust bolts down with PB Blaster and have gotten to turn a bit, so I'm hoping not to break the exhaust studs when I pull the old system off.

Not sure if you are using TYP4's braided oil feed line, but if you notice I had trouble in my post getting it on, install the 90 elbow while you have the manifolds off, also if you are gonna wrap the pipes do that too while the parts are off.

Yes, Russ is sending one along with, I hope, most everything I need for the installation. Manifolds off? I'm not planning on that! I am pretty sure that I'll wrap the crossover, downpipe and up pipe if possible as well as use a heat blanket on the turbo.

If you haven't already get new hardware, I installed all new stainless bolts on my turbo and used never seize. I'd get a new CDR valve as well

Since Russ rebuilt the turbo, I'm assuming that new hardware is part of the package. I'll inspect the CDR and replace it if there is any doubt.

Remember to leave the bolts on the cold side loose as you will have to clock the turbo to get it into the install snail (be careful because they strip easy)

Thanks!

For the firewall I'd go as big as you can, I used a sawzall with the blade turned around so I could get deeper cuts, I think the scissor jack should work, I didn't pull my up pipe so it was tight in there, but without it you should have plenty of room. I made my initial cuts and folded them over, but I still hit so I had to cut more, I ended up cutting more than I wanted too, I could see the fiberglass liner that's inside the firewall, but I covered it with some red RTV and it has been working fine!

If you look at my pictures you can kind of guess where the turbo DP is gonna go so you can get a good idea of where to open it up without having to mock the turbo up.

Best of luck,

Pm me your cell and I can text you with any help you may need if you want.

Many thanks for the detailed response and reaching out to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7