Project Big Blue

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few things I noticed today, one of the previously installed glow plugs either backed out or wasn’t tightened down completely.
You must be registered for see images attach

Tach sensor has seen better days, wasn’t causing any issues but I’m going to replace it, don’t want to upset the e40d.

#2 glow plug wire is pretty chafed from rubbing against the intake manifold, so I’ll replace it with one of my harnesses while I have it out.

Overall, the engine so far looks a little dirty but pretty good shape. Rockers have almost no measurable wear, and the intake is very clean with almost no oil deposit from blow by.

94bluebeast

Reaction score
Nice Wes, looks like pretty good news all around. Excited to see all the progress being made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Happy to hear about the minimal rocker wear. That's a good sign since they're the last thing (other than the turbo) to get oil. Someday I will also have a blast cabinet. After using the one we had in the shop I used to work in, those are the best way to clean up smaller parts, hands down.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven’t had much to post these past two days, been mostly just degreasing and blasting parts. Got the engine clean enough to disassemble today, and got it on a stand to pull the heads off.

As you can see everything looks great, there’s almost no ring ridge and hardly any cracking in the precups.

Got the heads soaking in the hot tank overnight then I’ll be prepping the block for installing studs and rebuilding the heads. More to come.

94bluebeast

Reaction score
Thanks Wes. Nice to see the good news continuing on this project. Been a bit of a rough day, so glad to get some good news on the truck. Appreciate all the attention to detail and hard work you are putting in.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Pretty crazy for 200k miles, good maintenance goes a long ways.
I'm definitely impressed. I suppose that a light right foot by the previous owner may have led to lower EGT's and helped too. I've seen a factory Turbo engine that had 305,000 miles on it. I don't remember the crosshatch situation, but there was little enough wear in the cylinders that it was completely standard. Even in #7 where they like to wear the most (along with #8). I only saw inside the cylinders because I was replacing the passenger's side head beacause of a bad valve guide. The customer was going to get rid of it fairly soon and didn't want to put any more money into it than he had to. IIRC, a 1992 F250 Ex. cab, 4X4. I would have bought it if there was any way possible that I could have come up with the money. That was back in my younger, less financially responsible days. back when if I had $20 left over when I got my next paycheck, it had been a REAL good paycheck.

94bluebeast

Reaction score
I'm definitely impressed. I suppose that a light right foot by the previous owner may have led to lower EGT's and helped too. I've seen a factory Turbo engine that had 305,000 miles on it. I don't remember the crosshatch situation, but there was little enough wear in the cylinders that it was completely standard. Even in #7 where they like to wear the most (along with #8). I only saw inside the cylinders because I was replacing the passenger's side head beacause of a bad valve guide. The customer was going to get rid of it fairly soon and didn't want to put any more money into it than he had to. IIRC, a 1992 F250 Ex. cab, 4X4. I would have bought it if there was any way possible that I could have come up with the money. That was back in my younger, less financially responsible days. back when if I had $20 left over when I got my next paycheck, it had been a REAL good paycheck.

I’ve owned it for about ten years now. Like to think I’ve taken pretty good care of her. Glad it’s showing during the tear down.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I’ve owned it for about ten years now. Like to think I’ve taken pretty good care of her. Glad it’s showing during the tear down.

Taking it easy (AKA low EGTs) make these engines last a whole lot longer. Most of the ones that I've replaced, with a turbo, no matter what turbo, had 150,000-200,000 miles on them. Cylinder #'s 7&8 would be worn up to .030. Not a one of them had an intercooler. Most didn't have a working pyro. All of the ones that had a working pyro, had the probe either pre or post turbo. The owners probably didn't know that the readings would be low due to probe placement.

94bluebeast

Reaction score
Taking it easy (AKA low EGTs) make these engines last a whole lot longer. Most of the ones that I've replaced, with a turbo, no matter what turbo, had 150,000-200,000 miles on them. Cylinder #'s 7&8 would be worn up to .030. Not a one of them had an intercooler. Most didn't have a working pyro. All of the ones that had a working pyro, had the probe either pre or post turbo. The owners probably didn't know that the readings would be low due to probe placement.

Yeah, makes sense. My probe is after the turbo from the p/o install so I have been adding a couple hundred degrees to the pyro when the truck is towing/under load. I have always kept it well under 1200 degrees out of an abundance of caution.

Wes is going to swap out the pyro from the current glow shift which has worked well until recently and put the probe in the proper place moving forward. With the intercooler added, should help me be able to tow up the hill better and hopefully keep the heat down.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think I've read 300* post turbo, but at this point, it no longer matters. You also obviously didn't run high EGTs very often, if at all.

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I got 2 questions.

1= where is the best prob location?
My ATS88 sticks out the passenger side. And I'm just now relising that is the output?

2= what's does IIRC mean? I cant figure it out.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Ok I got 2 questions.

1= where is the best prob location?
My ATS88 sticks out the passenger side. And I'm just now relising that is the output?

2= what's does IIRC mean? I cant figure it out.
IIRC means either if I recall, or if I remember correctly. The "best" pyro probe location is within 8" of the head. Wes says that he puts them all in the driver's side exhaust pipe right below the manifold. Others put them in the driver's side manifold.