Pre diesel install ???'s

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok basically I will have the engine out and be doing some painting on the firewall area and installing a clutch reinforcement kit while at it.

I plan on the 3" body lift of the bronco but what I would like to know is seeing as this is going to be turbo'ed 7.3 IDI, should I while I am prepping for paint on fire wall do any (cough) massaging of the firewall for clearance of the turbo. cookoocookoo

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With even a two-inch body-lift, you should not have any turbo clearance issues.

However, and this fact has never made any sense that it could even be possible, with a three-inch body-lift, some part of the engine comes into hard contact with the fire-wall, making the running engine resonate through the cab as if you were trapped inside the engine compartment of an E-unit climbing King's Mountain with no ear-plugs.

Back in my 6.9 days, I installed a three-inch lift and could not live with the racket.

No amount of crow-barring and porta-powering made things any better.

Reluctantly, I removed the three-inch blocks and sawed them down to two-inch, re-installed them, and problem solved.

I know that common logic dictates that lifting the cab should move things farther away from the engine, but that is not the case with an IDI in a Ford. :dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you may have issues with the driver's side of the cylinder head and the firewall lip.

Where abouts? on that lip? This is where I am trying to PRE plan and do what I can now. I have a chassis sitting next to my Bronco that is getting a full prep for 1ton running gear while I do this work on the running truck. I hate to have plans set back but if I want to do this right....sandblast frame run new brake and fuel lines etc....do it now..and install diesel then flip body onto that chassis.

That being said, if you can find an image of the lip and where to grind/pound/modify it would be helpfull.

With even a two-inch body-lift, you should not have any turbo clearance issues.

However, and this fact has never made any sense that it could even be possible, with a three-inch body-lift, some part of the engine comes into hard contact with the fire-wall, making the running engine resonate through the cab as if you were trapped inside the engine compartment of an E-unit climbing King's Mountain with no ear-plugs.

Back in my 6.9 days, I installed a three-inch lift and could not live with the racket.

No amount of crow-barring and porta-powering made things any better.

Reluctantly, I removed the three-inch blocks and sawed them down to two-inch, re-installed them, and problem solved.

I know that common logic dictates that lifting the cab should move things farther away from the engine, but that is not the case with an IDI in a Ford. :dunno

I have heard this and fully find it hard to believe as well:confused:cookoo. I cannot imagine how it would cause interference it makes no sense. I'll just have to wait and see what causes this issue and beat/cut/move, what ever it is when I get there.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its the drs side below the clutch master cylinder, the firewall is shaped around the engine kinda like a banana, which if you raise the cab you put the bottom edge in contact with the cylinder head. my trk has a 3" lift and i "massaged" it with a hammer, but since your going the extra mile of sandblasting and painting it, then you will want to install engine, mark what needs done, remove engine, "massage" and repeat as necessary