Power Steering pump pulley removal trouble

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought I was going to change the power steering pump on my truck today...I was wrong. I can't get the pulley off:mad: I have the power steering pump pulley puller and I cannot get the thing to budge. Has anyone ever had this trouble? If so what did you do? I used this same puller on my vacuum pump pulley so I am familiar with how it works. Also from the looks of things it looks like I cannot remove the pump unless I take the pulley off first. Is this correct? If it matter my truck is a 94 idi turbo, automatic, with the power steering pump with only the one return coming out of the bottom.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try some Aerokroil or PB Blaster on it. They can be difficult to remove. Yes, that pulley needs to come off before the pump can be removed from the bracket. Sad design but its what we have. The vacuum pump on a serpentine belt is nearly as bad. Its best to remove the pulley and then the bolts are easy to reach.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Mine was very difficult to move even with a high quality Snap-On puller but it eventually came with a breaker bar. If you aren't re-using the pump I would put a little heat on it that will help encourage it.

Reaction score
Just did this job a few weeks back using the rental from Autozone. No issues, but I did find that I had to turn around the two halves of the tool to get it to seat correctly. Looked backwards to me, but it worked.

Pulley has to come off to remove the pump from the bracket, but you could remove the whole assembly and do the work on a bench if you think it'd be easier.

Mike

Last edited:

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I run into something that will not budge with a puller I crank it tight, until it feels like it might break then give it a tap with a hammer. Not pounding or beating on it, just a fast, sharp tap. The shock normally breaks it free then I can crank down the puller and repeat. if needed but once usually does the trick.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ This, or sometimes it works just to leave it in that "tensioned" state for a while. I've done that with reluctant tie rods, using that Harbor Freight separator tool. Crank it down to where it feels like it's about to crack the crust of the earth, then just step away and grab a beverage, and in a minute or two, you hear a nice "POINGGGG...".

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread should be renamed to "don't assume you remember how to use a rental tool"

I got the pump off but I cut the return line. I should have looked at this better. I did not realize they had crimp on fittings. Are you all ordering a whole new hose/cooler assembly? Or are you able to connect standard tubing to it?

Reaction score
This thread should be renamed to "don't assume you remember how to use a rental tool"

I got the pump off but I cut the return line. I should have looked at this better. I did not realize they had crimp on fittings. Are you all ordering a whole new hose/cooler assembly? Or are you able to connect standard tubing to it?

Don't remember the return hose being anything special. I just used bulk hose and a couple clamps.

Mike

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine runs to some wrapped up hard lines that run around in a maze then go back to the steering box. It looks factory, some sort of cooling circuit

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah all four Fords we've had, the return line is technically the "cooler". Not really a maze, just some extra length of hard line facing the front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726