Power Steering Hose Fitting ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody.
Regarding the steering-gear end of the power steering pressure hose on my 1985 F-350:
What is the correct thread size and style of this fitting; it appears to be a standard flare fitting?

My hybrid Ford/Cummins hose of 2006 has sprung a leak and, although we made one in 2006, I hit two dead ends with the hose men in our community, both telling me that they cannot do what I need done.
I do not like to deal with people that give up so easily.

I have plenty of room where these hoses attach; thus, what I would like to do is to find fittings that I can screw into the Cummins pump and Ford steering gear and adapt both of these to a plain old farm tractor style hose, thus cutting out having to deal with these naysayers.

Either that, or just find new fittings that I can have new hose crimped onto.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your information.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock hose does look like a normal flare. A universal fuel line from the part store would probably fit, I don't know if it's 3/8 tube or 5/16 tube. The other end of the stock line is a o-ring type fitting. It would be nice if you could adapt that end to the cummins pump and just use the Ford hose.

You must be registered for see images

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speedway motors and Earls will have the adapter fittings to JIC. A good hydraulic shop can get them also. If you hit a wall I can likely get them.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speedway motors and Earls will have the adapter fittings to JIC. A good hydraulic shop can get them also. If you hit a wall I can likely get them.

JIC adapters would be ideal; if I knew exactly which male fitting sizes that are on my hose ends and then adapt to JIC, I would be happy indeed.

The stock hose does look like a normal flare. A universal fuel line from the part store would probably fit, I don't know if it's 3/8 tube or 5/16 tube. The other end of the stock line is a o-ring type fitting. It would be nice if you could adapt that end to the cummins pump and just use the Ford hose.

You must be registered for see images

Thanks for the fuel line idea.
My stock Ford hose does not have all those crooks and twists as the one you pictured; the steering-gear end is a simple 90* bend.
I tried several SAE flare fittings that I had on hand, but did not have anything that would fit.

To get me out of the woods and back up and running, I cleaned the hose as best I could and applied three-plus overlapping layers of VYPAR Silicone X-TREME Tape from end to end, wrapping over the metal crimped ends as well.
That stuff has rescued me from impossible situations several times; I used to get it at Harbor Freight; I don't know if they still have it or not.

The leak was very minor; driving about twenty miles per day, I could go three days between fillings without it running completely out; so, maybe, this emergency repair will hold for a long time, giving me time to properly address the situation.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a Parker Store that actually makes and repairs hydraulic lines for heavy equipment. They should be able to fix you up. Worst case, buy the two hoses you need from Rock auto or the like, and take them down and have the hydraulics shop crimp a new flex hose section onto the two steel formed ends that you need to hook to your pump and PS box.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to a Parker Store that actually makes and repairs hydraulic lines for heavy equipment. They should be able to fix you up. Worst case, buy the two hoses you need from Rock auto or the like, and take them down and have the hydraulics shop crimp a new flex hose section onto the two steel formed ends that you need to hook to your pump and PS box.

As best I remember, way back in 2006, I had both hoses as you describe, my original 1985 Ford hose and the 1989 Dodge/Cummins hose; I cannot remember the reason, but we opted to put the Cummins end on the Ford hose and it has worked fine until it sprung this minor leak the other day.
Actually, if I cannot come up with the JIC adapters I want, buying two new hoses as you describe would allow me to make the new hose while still being able to use my truck, then I could install it at my convenience.

I buy quite a bit of JIC stuff from this place:
https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/9068_JIC_x_Metric_p/9068.htm
:but I am not seeing a male flare to male JIC adapter that would fit the Ford steering-gear.
As for the Cummins end of things, I found a fitting that I had stamped M16x1.5 that is the same thread size as the compression nut that screws into the pump.
I am assuming that the only reason for the hollow nut over metal tube design is to allow the fitting to be screwed in without having to turn the entire hose (allow it to swivel); a rigid male JIC adapter of the correct thread size should install leak-free --- right ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take your hose to a hydraulic shop and they should be able to make you a hose.

I already went to both of our local hose shops with no success, but those guys are bad to get hung before they get to the hill; that is just one of the downfalls of living way out in the boonies.
These guys stay busy doing simple easy jobs and are not much for taking on a slight challenge.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already went to both of our local hose shops with no success, but those guys are bad to get hung before they get to the hill; that is just one of the downfalls of living way out in the boonies.
These guys stay busy doing simple easy jobs and are not much for taking on a slight challenge.
That sucks if you lived near a industrial town with a quality hydraulic shop they can fix you up in about 10 minutes

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you could buy both hoses. Cut the rubber where it needs to be and have a shop splice them with the correct splice.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you could buy both hoses. Cut the rubber where it needs to be and have a shop splice them with the correct splice.

I was wondering that as well. Seems like, while maybe not the cheapest, it would be pretty easy to have even a unique motivated hose shop stick them together...

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering that as well. Seems like, while maybe not the cheapest, it would be pretty easy to have even a unique motivated hose shop stick them together...
I do it all the time with AC hoses. AC hose wont hold PS pressures but the same principle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online