Power is Power, Right?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Like said, 400hp is 400hp. The difference comes with the RPM's that different engines make their torque, at. I can make 2200 ft lbs of torque, using a 10' long bar, much more than an IDI could ever dream of. But, the IDI will beat me every time when it comes to actually moving a load...but why is that? HP, the rate at which work is done. Torque and HP are related to each other with the given equation:

HP= Torque x RPM / 5252

If an engine makes peak torque at 1500 rpm's, and another at 2500 rpm's, to create the same amount of HP, the lower RPM engine will have to make 66% more peak torque than the higher RPM engine. Torque isn't exactly what its cracked up to be. Insert: 3.5 ecoboost vs 3.0 ecodiesel. Watch them on youtube pulling the ike gauntlet, and the ecoboost kicks the living chit out of the ecodiesel. But why? Both make about the same peak torque. HP. HP actually is what moves loads, people. The 240hp from the ecodiesel is no match for 350+hp from the ecoboost. At a given road speed, the ecoboost can develop more POWER, which is a function of RPM and torque produced, than the ecodiesel.

I-6's usually make torque down low, and have narrower torque bands. V8's have peak torque higher, and generally have wider torque bands. Ever wonder why a 400hp powerstroke/duramax will beat a 450-475hp cummins at the strip, day in and day out? Because of the torque band. When accelerating, the V8's produce power over a wider RPM range vs the I-6, which gives them an advantage when accelerating.

This is obviously way simplified, but it is what it is. Torque is a force, HP is a unit of power.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
as stated. horsepower is nothing more than an equation.

HP = how fast you hit the wall
torque = how far the wall moves when you hit it.

I thought it was,
"HP is how fast you hit the fence, Torque is how far you take the fence with you."
And in my old '89 with the 300, That statement ran VERY true one night with my ex-wifes dad.....

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like said, 400hp is 400hp. The difference comes with the RPM's that different engines make their torque, at. I can make 2200 ft lbs of torque, using a 10' long bar, much more than an IDI could ever dream of. But, the IDI will beat me every time when it comes to actually moving a load...but why is that? HP, the rate at which work is done. Torque and HP are related to each other with the given equation:

HP= Torque x RPM / 5252

If an engine makes peak torque at 1500 rpm's, and another at 2500 rpm's, to create the same amount of HP, the lower RPM engine will have to make 66% more peak torque than the higher RPM engine. Torque isn't exactly what its cracked up to be. Insert: 3.5 ecoboost vs 3.0 ecodiesel. Watch them on youtube pulling the ike gauntlet, and the ecoboost kicks the living chit out of the ecodiesel. But why? Both make about the same peak torque. HP. HP actually is what moves loads, people. The 240hp from the ecodiesel is no match for 350+hp from the ecoboost. At a given road speed, the ecoboost can develop more POWER, which is a function of RPM and torque produced, than the ecodiesel.

I-6's usually make torque down low, and have narrower torque bands. V8's have peak torque higher, and generally have wider torque bands. Ever wonder why a 400hp powerstroke/duramax will beat a 450-475hp cummins at the strip, day in and day out? Because of the torque band. When accelerating, the V8's produce power over a wider RPM range vs the I-6, which gives them an advantage when accelerating.

This is obviously way simplified, but it is what it is. Torque is a force, HP is a unit of power.

One addition to your example. Is torque multiplication. Engines with a torque curve higher in the rpm are going to have more torque at the rear wheels for the same speed at the wheel due to higher gear multiplication. 3.5 is able to produce much more wheel tq and hence more wheel hp. The down side is the higher revving engine is going to be shifted more to stay in the power.
This is how torque wins races.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was,
"HP is how fast you hit the fence, Torque is how far you take the fence with you."
And in my old '89 with the 300, That statement ran VERY true one night with my ex-wifes dad.....

To stay with the same units

Torque is just how hard you hit the wall, nothing to do with it moving even though it might.
Hp is how many times you can hit the wall in a given amount of time multiplied by how hard you hit.
hp has to have a time factor ie so many times per minute or rpm.

So if hit the wall with 300 lbs of force in once minute vs hitting the wall with 20 lbs of force 60 times a minute.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6!
Ever seen a stovebolt lift the frontend of a 40's hotrod?
Agreed on the 300-6, hands down best working eng ford ever made!
My 67 ( 300, 3 on the tree) yes it shoulda had a 4 gear' would move mountains.
That said a good tunner can do wonders on an 8.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bout only thing better n Inline 6 compared to v8...

BIIGGER V12 Air cooled pig in TATRA 813

Just saying

90 deg V8 vs straight six...no comparison Ill take the 6

6 vs v12 I will take 12 cylinders

Youtube em...they sound badass

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FordGUy100's explanation is spot on. Its all about that average power throughout the rev range.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's '83 F150 300 got cab cancer so bad the seat belts pulled out. That was about the time she wanted a PSD anyway. So when we bought the PSD and put the '83 up for sale as an engine donor, we sold it based on the buyer hearing the engine start and run over a cell phone.

paulzx

Reaction score
Everyone gives me confused looks or laughs when I tell them my 79 F350 had a 300 I6. I tell you what, though, I load that truck up and it just goes "chugalug-chugalug" and hauls everything I put in it and attach to it. It's like a diesel gasser. Love the 300.

I love that engine, I had one in a 1990 f150.... not fast but it pulled good. one way to look at it is that the i6 made in 1990 265 ftlb at 2000 rpm and the 302 made roughly 270 ftlb at 2400 rpm. for something that everybody snubs there nose too, it can hold it's own then some. and built like a tank. just run forever, the body falls off before the engine dies.