possible turbo rebuild in the near future

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got my truck running today. I got it all warmed up and decided to take it for a test drive and half way through the drive I stopped to check for leaks and check the oil. Well I found oil in the rear of my valley pan. Looks like it is coming out of the turbo. I didn't have this leak before installing on the rebuilt engine. I need your guys help determining where this leak is coming from.

Attachments

• turbo leak.jpg
    turbo leak.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 14
  • turbo leak 2.jpg
    turbo leak 2.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 9

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Could be a few places. Could be from your turbo oil feed line. Did you use any sealant on it? Did you use any RTV where the pedistal goes into the rear of the valley pan?

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbo feed line looks good and I did silicone the valley pan grommet. I didn't take the turbo pedestal apart and when I put it together the last time I put new o rings in it and great stuffed both o rings.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
There is an oring where the pedestal meets the turbo. Did you make sure it was in place? Can you narrow down where it looks like the oil is coming from? Im betting 100% its from a mating surface somewhere in the setup.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't take the pedestal apart where the o ring is this time. I had taken it apart two months ago and put a new o ring in it with great stuff sealant. It wasn't leaking before so i didnt take it apart. I plan on trying to narrow it down tomorrow. I was truly frustrated after rebuilding the engine and up comes another problem. I thought I would walk away it is usually best before I do something stupid.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Try to clean up the oil mess a little bit before starting it again. Once you clean it up start it up and look closely up under there and see if you can see or feel where its coming from. BTW be careful of the moving parts (FAN)

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on doing that tomorrow I was going to pull the air cleaner box off and see if I can get a better look at where the leak is coming from. Have you had a personal experience with the (fan)

MrsFordGuy100

Reaction score
Justin's truck leaks oil there as well. I dont think it exactly signifies a bad turbo. Could be the turbo isnt bolted down to the pedistal properly, or perhaps bad o rings on the pedistal?

I would check for wheel play before deciding if your turbo is bad.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin's truck leaks oil there as well. I dont think it exactly signifies a bad turbo. Could be the turbo isnt bolted down to the pedistal properly, or perhaps bad o rings on the pedistal?

I would check for wheel play before deciding if your turbo is bad.

Is Justin feeding this to you or do you listen well??? JK I bet you are pretty car savvy. Great pic of You 2

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
From the pics my guess is the turbo oil seals are shot. I see oil leaking from the turbo to manifold joint... Sorry for the bad news that I see. Please remember this is only a guess by looking at your pics...

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
S
Did you knock holes in the valley pan under the oil return?

I did not knock holes in the valley pan but I did seal the grommet with great stuff. I looked at the old valley pan and it did not have holes punched in it.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The newer valley pans from the turbo motors don't need it. The older vp pans do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online