Possible Exhaust or Turbo Issue - 94 7.3 IDI Factory Turbo F250

reundo

Reaction score
This is my first post on forum, but I have lurked for awhile. Apologies if I missed a similar post on the issue.

Vehicle is a 94 F250 with factory turbo 7.3 IDI

I went to start my truck yesterday. First start since the temperature dropped here over the weekend. It started right up but a second or two later there was a noise (so sudden and fast I can’t even remember enough to describe.) Now it it sounds like a pressured air leak (similar to shooting air from a compressor) coming from around the turbo and it appears I am getting no or very little exhaust out of the tailpipe when idling. If I rev the engine I get exhaust fumes from somewhere around the turbo/exhaust down pipe into the engine compartment.

Any ideas where to focus my investigation? Is it likely a turbo issue or just an issue with a break in the exhaust? I have not started to tear anything apart. I am hesitant as this is my first turbo vehicle and it was getting dark and freezing outside yesterday. Also, not sure how to get the factory heat shielding off.

Thank you!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best off to start by finding the source of leak under hood, then follow the down pipe to the rear outlet.
There could be (sort of in order) a busted wastegate line on the turbo, loose turbo fasteners, outlet to downpipe leak,intake hat, flex hose into hat, plugged muffler.
Fill in the truck specs in Your sig line ,it helps us diagnose your rig.

reundo

Reaction score
Thanks! I was just hoping to get a better idea where to start since it's so cold outside. Didn't want to go in blind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online