Poll on timing meters or method?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'd like anyone that has a meter, or proven method(not by ear) to post up what they use and why. I'm intending on buying a setup, and want to see what's still in use and what everyone is having good results with. Thanks in advance!!

liddledoggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use a rotunda meter because its the only one i have. it dose both lumi and pulse method but i have only used the pulse part. some day i may do both just to compare. this meter seems to work fine. joe

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kicking it old school w/ snapon MT480.:)
oops.i forgot why; nostalgia.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Bull... Thanks for the fabulosly clear pictures... Nothing like seeing what you have taken a picture of.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, oldbull, I was reading a thread somewhere that the ebay pulse adapter @ $175 wouldn't work because the timing is after TDC and adjustable timing lights wont do after? only BTDC? I had thought about this since I already have an adjustable timing light. But hadn't done anymore research. Give me some insight as this is alot cheaper since I already have half the required setup.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I've used them all, snap on meters, etc. I've not used the meters Gary has (3000 series) but I've used MT480, MT1480, Ferrett, MAC and currently use a snap on pulse adapter with an OTC light. I've tried them side by side, pulse and lumy and honestly never seen more than a tenth of a degree difference...maybe that's just me.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, oldbull, I was reading a thread somewhere that the ebay pulse adapter @ $175 wouldn't work because the timing is after TDC and adjustable timing lights wont do after? only BTDC? I had thought about this since I already have an adjustable timing light. But hadn't done anymore research. Give me some insight as this is alot cheaper since I already have half the required setup.
Don't quite understand what your saying about ATDC with a pulse adapter. With a Ferrett pulse adapter the setting is BTDC anywhere from 8.5 for an NA to 9.5 for a turbo. Never used a luminosity probe, but I guess the timing is set ATDC with them. icanfixall can answer that as he uses them.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If you have an adjustable timing light, then you can just get a Ferret, MAC or Snap On pulse adapter and you should be good to go. You should be able to get them for $175. I think the adapter you might be talking about are the ones that convert Lumy to an electronic pulse. I have one of them, haven't tried it other than to make sure it works, which it did and it showed my truck timed correctly (which I already knew because of the Snap on pulse adapter). I think the question was how would it advance from the lumy probe...don't think we ever solved it. I paid like $60 for mine and a day later the price jumped to like $150 after a couple of use bought them...saw the demand and raised the price.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's where I hadn't done enough research.. the lumy adapter is where I got confused i guess.

So does anyone have the mac or snap-on pulse adapter #'s?

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the MAC pulse adapter. That is all I have ever used. It has worked well for me, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I like my Ferret . For the money, it's the best choice. It's modern and you can buy it new with a warranty. I tried the chasing snappy meters on ebay bit first and lost a bundle on trot line sinkers that were listed as in perfect working condition before waking up and spending the smart money on the Ferret ;Sweet

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ended up buying a ferret, as it seems to be the cheapest method. And is accurate too. SO if anyone in Northern PA, southern NY needs timed, I have a setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online