Please verify: Does the OEM 6.9l tach go to 8k?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
OEM 6.9l tach ANALOG replacements?

I either need to replace my tach with an OEM tach or find an ANALOG dial faced tach that would fit in the OEM tach's spot with minor jury rigging. I've seen this done before. Anyone?

Last edited:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Haha, nope not 6 or 8 (8k tachs and higher are only put on performance v8's).
You must be registered for see images attach

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, that's not an IDI tach. I tried to use a tach out of a F650 with a 8.3 cummins. It only went to 3500RPM. HERE IS A PICTURE of it in the dash. It would not work with the IDI tach sender.:dunno Once I got an IDI tach, it works just fine.

Heath

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Anyone have a OEM part number for the appropriate tach so I can scour the face of the planet for one?

Nope, that's not an IDI tach. I tried to use a tach out of a F650 with a 8.3 cummins. It only went to 3500RPM. HERE IS A PICTURE of it in the dash. It would not work with the IDI tach sender.:dunno Once I got an IDI tach, it works just fine.

Heath

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to be the sarcastic one here but you can tell if you're diesel at 8k without a tach if you see pistons and rods and other shrapnel impailing anyone near your truck. Yeah ok it really can't go to 8k it's got a gov. But it would be scary to see what would happen.

Serious question how "wonky" is the gasser tach? What does it do? What's it hooked to?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Yep got got some bad info somewhere along the line.

The existing tach shows absolutely no idle and shows me at 4500 rpm when in 4th OD when I should be somewhere around 2500 - sometimes it shows me in the high 3's

It simply does no good at all.

I hate to be the sarcastic one here but you can tell if you're diesel at 8k without a tach if you see pistons and rods and other shrapnel impailing anyone near your truck. Yeah ok it really can't go to 8k it's got a gov. But it would be scary to see what would happen.

Serious question how "wonky" is the gasser tach? What does it do? What's it hooked to?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only Ford part number I can find on the tach assembly is on the faceplate...and, since it looks like the face is detachable from the electronic board, this part number may be only for the face. That part number is E5TF-17B316-A.

For the life of me, I can't find a Ford part number on the circuit board or on the plastic piece that attaches the circuit board to the faceplace...

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Thanks for looking, it's greatly appreciated. Now that it's out of your truck wanna sell it? :)

The only Ford part number I can find on the tach assembly is on the faceplate...and, since it looks like the face is detachable from the electronic board, this part number may be only for the face. That part number is E5TF-17B316-A.

For the life of me, I can't find a Ford part number on the circuit board or on the plastic piece that attaches the circuit board to the faceplace...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for looking, it's greatly appreciated. Now that it's out of your truck wanna sell it? :)
It's out of my truck because it was never installed. :) I got it from Towcat, and haven't had time to pull my dash cluster and install it and the wiring yet...probably will be a while before I can, since my truck's my daily driver at this point :rolleyes:

Like yours, my truck's an '84 and was not built with a factory tach in mind. IIRC '85 and '86 trucks have the wiring in place even on trucks not equipped with a tach, but I certainly don't have that...in fact, I had to replace the IP drive gear housing to one made to accommodate a tach sender...

Before:

After:

One of the previous owners of my truck actually installed an alternator-driven tach, but it somehow got damaged and I was never able to get it to work. Even if it did work, I don't think I'd trust it... :dunno The attached picture is what my dash looks like now (taken while towing a boat on the I-5 somewhere in southern Washington)

Attachments

• Truck Dash 002.jpg
    Truck Dash 002.jpg
    795.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tach you have in the picture is round, I was just figuring on putting an aftermarket tach in the dash. For as much work as it is to chase down an old Ford tach seems a lot easier to just get a good aftermrket one. And as reliable as the Ford volt, temp, oil, fuel gauges are was the tach much better? I just want to get rid of every gauge Ford put in that truck.

Also are you saying my 85 has the wiring and sending unit in place so I just have to find a tach?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The factory tach works fine provided that it is healthy, and the wiring and sender are good. Ebay and junkyards are your best bet. There was one on ebay yesterday.