plate between C6 and 6.9???

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind.... the diesel automatics have the bottom of the bellhousing machined away so you can get to the converter bolts, since they are blocked from the front by the very large oil pan.

Sounds like a guy could cut off the bottom of the bellhousing himself, and make his own inspection plate. I wonder if the diesel torque converter does indeed fit inside the BB bellhousing?

That'd be alright... drill some new holes, make an inspection plate, and you could do an automatic swap from a BB C6 that came behind many 351M/400 and 460 vehicles.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the diesel torque converter does indeed fit inside the BB bellhousing?

Yes it does,they use more clutches in the direct for diesels. But a bb trans would hold up for a while.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, I gotta get on this when I get back into a shop.

Some aftermarket C6 parts would make it stronger than a diesel stocker, anyway.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
i run a c-6 with nothing else. If you cracked a housing there was some serious torque shock or the bolts were loose. The c-6 is the best auto trans ford made,it just needs another gear, like a gearvendors od behind it. You can find them with trucks attached to them for cheap on ebay sometimes!

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I just have to ask.....

I know what a C6 is (and agree with GreenBeast - they're the best auto Ford ever made), but what the heck is a "BB" C6?

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... they made C6s to fit the smallblocks, FEs, diesels, and big blocks. Easier to find a big block C6 than any other.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, now I'm with ya'.

I've been in the Jeep world quite while so to me BB means "Budget Boost" - a.k.a. a cheap suspension lift.

I wouldn't think there would be that much difference between internals of the big block and diesel versions of the C6. Both have to deal with the same kind of loads, HP, & torque. Just at different RPM ranges.

I gather the bellhousings are slightly different, but that doesn't sound insurmountable....

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well my thing is that I HAVE a spare BB ZF5 thats already 4x4 with the t-case...if I get an overdrive unit..Im lookin $800+ (cheapest on e-bay)...and then a divorced transfer case...if I put the ZF5 behind the 6.9...I get the overdrive..AND the 4x4 transfercase in one shot...

now...what clutch to use???:D

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well my thing is that I HAVE a spare BB ZF5 thats already 4x4 with the t-case...if I get an overdrive unit..Im lookin $800+ (cheapest on e-bay)...and then a divorced transfer case...if I put the ZF5 behind the 6.9...I get the overdrive..AND the 4x4 transfercase in one shot...

now...what clutch to use???:D
Spend another $550-$600 on a LUK 12" DMF to SMF flywheel & clutch kit (and be stuck buying replacement clutches from them at $350 a set from now on)

OR....

Buy a SMF from Parts America for $150 (assuming you don't already have one) and the rest of the 11" clutch components listed in this thread from AutoZone.com
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?p=207551#post207551
for $185 (and be able to buy replacement clutches for that same $185 price in the future)

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spend another $550-$600 on a LUK 12" DMF to SMF flywheel & clutch kit (and be stuck buying replacement clutches from them at $350 a set from now on)

OR....

Buy a SMF from Parts America for $150 (assuming you don't already have one) and the rest of the 11" clutch components listed in this thread from AutoZone.com
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?p=207551#post207551
for $185 (and be able to buy replacement clutches for that same $185 price in the future)

im guessin the 460 flywheel wont fit the 6.9???

cus if it will....Im 4 holes awy and a master clutch cyl away from a 5spd...oh..and a day in the garage..and some cussin...;p

Im all about off the shelf parts!!!...heck...if I destroy every piece of linkage on my explorer....1 trip to a farm implement store/napa/TSC and I can totaly rebuild it for $150...(steering is $100 of that!!);Sweet