plate between C6 and 6.9???

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, I should have said that all big truck motors use an SAE bolt pattern, not that they all use SAE adaptors.

You can bolt other transmissions to the 6.9, but I seriously doubt a big trans (such as in my rollback) would fit under a pickup without a substantial body lift.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, I should have said that all big truck motors use an SAE bolt pattern, not that they all use SAE adaptors.

You can bolt other transmissions to the 6.9, but I seriously doubt a big trans (such as in my rollback) would fit under a pickup without a substantial body lift.

yes it would probably take a bodylift...but at LEAST it MIGHT survive a YEAR with me drivin....I have really really REALLY bad luck with ford automatic trannys....

really....:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too excited about bolting other truck trans's on. A lot of IH trucks use a Clark transmission, and while they are probably great, most end in 1:1 , and all the gears in between are seriously low.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever had a C6?

About the toughest auto tranny Ford has ever built.

yes..killed 3...actally cracked the housing on 1....

as I said...they never built an auto that would withstand me...

keep the c-6 and put an overdrive unit behind it.

thinkin bout it...but see above post...:D (know anybody thats got one reasonably priced?? $2800K for a gearvendors is outta my range right now...)

what tranny are ya runnin??

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too excited about bolting other truck trans's on. A lot of IH trucks use a Clark transmission, and while they are probably great, most end in 1:1 , and all the gears in between are seriously low.

I know the trans in my International would make you absolutely miserable in a pickup truck (it makes me miserable now). There's a huge ratio gap between third and fourth. You can run 3rd up to the governor and still you lose all power shifting to fourth. The trans was apparently geared to use with a splitter where you would split fourth and fifth gears for 7 speeds overall.

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...There's a huge ratio gap between third and fourth. ...

Sounds like the T34. It is OD, yes? This is a common complaint with the T34 OD 5-speeds.

The DD T35 is basically geared 2-5 the same as the T19 close ratio, with a low 1st gear of 7.17:1. The T36 is a close ratio DD with 6.32 1st and 2-5 nudged a bit closer than in the T35.

Mr_Roboto, if you have a T34 or T494, I think you'd be much happier with a T35 or T36. There's a market for the OD T34 that owuld easily pay for a T35/36. T35 seem to be most plentiful. If you have a T35/T495, then you want a T36/T496 which have the smallest gaps between gears of the 3 IH transmissions that share this same case.

Ken

Last edited:

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow so you are saying that IH SAE#2 will let us bolt other trans to our trucks? pics yes!!!

Yes. It's not limited to what IH used. That's the beauty of the SAE system. Anything(including stationary drives, hydraulic pumps, marine transmissions, etc) conforming to the SAE #2 standard could be mounted behind an IDI equipped with the necessary SAE #2 parts which IH produced for the IDIs.

I'll get some pics of what I have.

Ken

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish someone could make a BB C6 bolt up behind the 6.9. You can find tons of BB C6s around, but finding a diesel C6 is a different story. I'd take a BB C6 and throw some of the diesel guts in it, like the TV valve and governor.

But as someone has told me already, the diesel torque converter won't fit in a BB bellhousing? Why not just use a BB torque converter? I know I'd be willing to settle for a less-than-perfect C6 behind my diesel just to have the C6 in place of my T19. I don't tow much.

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish someone could make a BB C6 bolt up behind the 6.9....

One just needs to make the adapter plate that is currently mounted on the rear of the Ford spec IDIs a little bit different, 2 bolt holes placed slightly different, IIRC. The caveats as to convertor and such I have no idea.

Ken

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well I'm gonna try to make something work.:smash:

I've got the engine and the project truck is coming this week.;Sweet

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics.

IDI SAE#2 flywheelhousing(lying on passenger side):
You must be registered for see images attach

SAE #2 clutch cover for IHC T3x transmissions:

Ken

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind.... the diesel automatics have the bottom of the bellhousing machined away so you can get to the converter bolts, since they are blocked from the front by the very large oil pan.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the T34. It is OD, yes? This is a common complaint with the T34 OD 5-speeds.

The DD T35 is basically geared 2-5 the same as the T19 close ratio, with a low 1st gear of 7.17:1. The T36 is a close ratio DD with 6.32 1st and 2-5 nudged a bit closer than in the T35.

Mr_Roboto, if you have a T34 or T494, I think you'd be much happier with a T35 or T36. There's a market for the OD T34 that owuld easily pay for a T35/36. T35 seem to be most plentiful. If you have a T35/T495, then you want a T36/T496 which have the smallest gaps between gears of the 3 IH transmissions that share this same case.

Ken

Good question. It has 5 speeds and likes to grind when I'm tired.

I have an Allison 4 speed auto in a school bus that I wouldn't mind bolting in. I'll probably never do it, I tend to not keep trucks long enough for it to be worthwhile to make any major changes.