plate between C6 and 6.9???

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it appears that my 85 E350 has an adapter plate (all factory) from the 6.9 to the C6 auto tranny....is this a big block c6 thats adapted to fit the 6.9??...whats the deal with the adapter if its not?

im just curious to see if its a factory plate that they used allowing them to use bigblock transmissions for their diesels rather than have an entire line of diesel trannys....I want to put a ZF5 into her...and it LOOKS close to a BB pattern...it would be nice if I didnt have to buy an adapter...;Sweet

if I get a chance tommoirow i'll pull the doghouse and make a pattern..then check it against the ZF5 that I have already out....

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep since it's a international engine and a ford tranny what they did was just use an adapter but the diesel trans has different gearing than it's gasser counterpart.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep since it's a international engine and a ford tranny what they did was just use an adapter but the diesel trans has different gearing than it's gasser counterpart.

you just MADE MY NIGHT!!!

I'll buy ya a 12pk of your favorite frosty beverages when we meet!!...

I plan on putting in the wide ratio ZF...im used to slamin and jamin gears with my 460 anyway...just dont like ford auto's...or is it that they dont like me...:dunno

the wife says the checking account thanks you too!!:thumbsup:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hold on now. What you have is an SAE adaptor plate that all big truck motors use.

You will find that the two top bolt holes are different between the 460 and diesel bolt pattern and a 460 trans will NOT work without modification (It's been done but I understand it is not an easy task).

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok here goes, I put a 460 in front of my diesel zf, .Make no mistake they are NOT the same pattern, the top two are the only ones that are close enough to work. The dowels and lower 4 holes are different. The zf behind the small v8 is not anywhere close.
I have pics and you can see where I drilled for the 460 dowels, bolts and starter. I would highlight with some colors but I dont know how to edit the photo.The daughter showed me how woooo hoooo.

Red, 460 starter holes, top thruhole, bottom tapped
blue, Diesel mtg holes
green 460 added holes, 7/16ths
brown, 460 dowel holes
magenta, diesel dowel holes

Attachments

• rail mods 054mod.JPG
    rail mods 054mod.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 41

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here goes, I put a 460 in front of my diesel zf, .Make no mistake they are NOT the same pattern, the top two are the only ones that are close enough to work. The dowels and lower 4 holes are different. The zf behind the small v8 is not anywhere close.
I have pics and you can see where I drilled for the 460 dowels, bolts and starter. I would highlight with some colors but I dont know how to edit the photo.The daughter showed me how woooo hoooo.

Red, 460 starter holes, top thruhole, bottom tapped
blue, Diesel mtg holes
green 460 added holes, 7/16ths
brown, 460 dowel holes
magenta, diesel dowel holes

awsome...that looks do-able....heck...I freak out at a "bolt on" fix...if it doesnt involve modifications im genneral bored with the project..LOL

what did you do for the flywheel and clutch? stock 6.9 stuff?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry apparently I was wrong on what holes were the same. I've never dealt with it further than confirming that a BB trans won't work.

There may be some confusion because with the "4 speed" the bellhousing is removeable so you can put a gasser trans behind a diesel no problem, WITH the proper bellhousing. However the automatics and 5 speeds the bellhousing is integral.

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hold on now. What you have is an SAE adaptor plate that all big truck motors use...

The IHC spec IDIs use an SAE #2 flywheel housing. The Ford spec IDIs use an adapter that is not a part of the SAE system.

Ken

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what does that mean? (other than its not the same...)

The IHC IDIs have a flywheel housing that conforms to the SAE standard, in this case it is the #2 size. This is a system that on the engine side specs a standardized mounting surface in conjunction with a standardized location of the flywheel face and pilot bearing. Thus another manufacturer, say Spicer, can make a clutch cover(or trans adapter if you prefer) that fits their transmission that will bolt up to the flywheel housing already on the back of the engine with the proper input stickout etc.

I have a 6.9 IDI SAE#2 flywheel housing and an SAE#2 clutch cover for IHC T3x(5-speed) transmissions sitting in my garage if anyone would like pics. These are perhaps the same parts that are in Mr_Roboto's rollback.

The Ford 'system' for the IDI is a Ford only adapter that was used to mount only Ford patterned bellhousings.

Ken

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
TI have a 6.9 IDI SAE#2 flywheel housing and an SAE#2 clutch cover for IHC T3x(5-speed) transmissions sitting in my garage if anyone would like pics. These are perhaps the same parts that are in Mr_Roboto's rollback.
Ken
wow so you are saying that IH SAE#2 will let us bolt other trans to our trucks? pics yes!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726