pilot or throwout bearing?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New UHaul engine probably has only about 1,000 miles on her. Installed a new 11" sachs clutch on my T-19 from oreillys. I will try to dig up more info, somehow I lost it.

Anyway - sounds like hell when I push the clutch pedal in and hold it. Never sounded right from the get go. Figured someone here would know right off the bat. Not looking forward to pulling the engine but if I need to, so be it

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would say pilot. Throw out bearing usually makes noise when your foot is off the pedal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Would need to pull the engine anyway, just the transmission.

Could the clutch disc not have been quite lined up right when installed?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unbolt bell from engine... drop trans pull clutch and bobs yer uncle....easy peasy.

Or pull trans off belhousing drop it..then pull bellhousing...either or works

Me yank trans n bellhousing in one.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Possibly. But the thing to thing about is, it would've corrected itself the first time you pushed in the clutch with it running. And/or you wouldn't have been able to get the trans lined up.
Clutch disc could be bad also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. so much for going with the sachs. I heard they were good. Might as well pull the whole crapshow. Had the flywheel resurfaced when I did the clutch kit, has less than 1,000 on it. If it looks pretty even, can I call it good or should I redo'er?

Southbend 12" clutch fit behind the t-19 or are they too big?

Thanks for all the info:hail

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a South Bend 12" and it was a LUK. I installed it behind my t-19 with a surfaced flywheel. I don't have an explanation, but the chatter was terrible on takeoff. If I had any forward motion all was well. I finally gave up and bought a NAPA 11" clutch kit and it was a LUK also. I refuse to resurface the flywheel as it only had maybe 15K since done. The clutch is perfect now. I don't have an explanation. As far as noise when pedal is depressed, I would think TOB, as the only time they are rotating is when the pedal is depressed. Some of these kits come with really cheap looking TOBs.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I've also heard of the zf5's having a 13" clutch :dunno. How many parts will interchange between the two trans?

Looks like I should have gotten a kevlar bearing. And from some digging it sounds like another member here had similar issues with his sachs clutch kit

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noises are at least a two-part issue if not three.

Driver side wheel bearing, squeaks - looks like wheel seal is shot, I'm betting moisture got in there. Looks like I might have reason to upgrade to a dana 60 front

Sometimes with clutch out in gear there is noise from one of the bearings, pressing just a little on the clutch pedal makes it go away when it is present, as does fully depressing it. So I'm guessing its the one on the clutch fork?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Sometimes with clutch out in gear there is noise from one of the bearings, pressing just a little on the clutch pedal makes it go away when it is present, as does fully depressing it. So I'm guessing its the one on the clutch fork?

Yes. Mine does the same thing after I put a new throwout bearing in. I noticed that the clutch fork has grooves in it like someone didn't install it right and drove it with the rotating surface on the face of the fork. The grooves hold the throwout at a bit of an angle and barely moving the clutch pedal straightens the bearing out against the pressure plate fingers, then no more squeek.

If you get a new clutch fork, let me know from where. I got one from Autozone (only one listed) as a just in case when I dropped the trans. The pivot points where wrong, maybe meant for a 4 speed. Doesn't hurt anything, but damn if it's not annoying.