Pics of IDIs still working?

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ford6.9 I will post some more pics this weekend. I am going 300 miles away to pick up a 2 1/2 ton 6x6 truck and on the way back im picking up my 20ft bumper pull that will have a Hay V rake loaded on it. Ill be grossing around 38k depending on fuel. Truck and Trailer 17k, 6x6 = 13,500, 20' trailer= 4500, V rake = 2700lbs.

With my old 4.10s it took a little bit to get some heavy loads going. I mostly just ran 4L without the hubs locked in to get it going and then switched to 2H so I wasnt straining the clutch to much. This will be my second tow with my 4.56 gears so I dont think that she will have any issues since I wont be going thru any mountain pass.

I just know my next modification will be disc brakes on the rear

How exactly does going from 4L to 2H work while youre moving? I would think that would be ******* the t-case at a minimum?:dunno

Its probably a little easier to actually do with a stick versus an auto but still I would think not good for the t-case???

Just wondering so I know my options.:D

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How exactly does going from 4L to 2H work while youre moving? I would think that would be ******* the t-case at a minimum?:dunno

Its probably a little easier to actually do with a stick versus an auto but still I would think not good for the t-case???

I have 3.55s and use 4 low alot when towing. Usually its in 4 low until I have a flat or slightly down hill area to start out on then I stop and shift back into 2 hi. No grinding yet that way.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score

With his tranny run 1st(roughly 8:1 in low) and 2nd(roughly 4.72 in low) then a range shift, similar to shifting an old school axillary (such as a brownie) then drop back to first and get moving.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

heres one of mine..... gunna be one of the last ones for awhile as she is scheduled to go under the knife (or grinder rather) for some much needed R&R

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score

I shift into 4L(2L) at stop. move out in 1st. then to 2nd. then to neutral and shift the t case (manual shift) from 4L to 2H. It doesn't grind at all. I know my 94 with the 1356 tcase doesn't like it at all. you can hear it grind slightly. with 3.55s its alot better to use 4l to just get it moving and then shift out. Id rather do that rather than burn a clutch or snap a u joint. Note: I also have a NP 205 transfer case and not the 208/1345/1356 case. It is damn near bulletproof. You will kill 5 or 6 208s before a 205.

Since I switched to 4.56s I use 4L(2L) to get moving with 1st gear and I dont even have to touch the gas pedal to get rolling even with 28k behind me. I am not fond of the sterling 10.25 axle though and am going to swap to a Dana 80 this weekend coming up.(picked up the whole assembly drum to drum with springs for $200. Sticking with the 4.56s though so ive gotta order gears. I have towed with 3.55s, 4.10s, 4.30s, and I am surely digging these 4.56s with my 4spd. I only cruise 50/55 on the highways empty anyways. So speed isnt a big factor to me. 4.56 + 31.65" tires + 55mph + 1.00 t/r = 2665rpms.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Not to bad with the 4.56s. with my 8k lbs 25' GN empty on a 2mile long 6" grade it will hold 52 or so in 4th. I went to pick up firewood today and going up the same grade with approx 18,000lbs of wood and equipment(excavator) plus towing my log splitter behind the GN, I was holding 40/45 in 3rd. Had several wide loads coming down the mountain so I was off and on as I approached them. I was 34,240lbs when I weighed at the DOT station on the way home.

DeadMan

Reaction score
Older pic. This is pretty much an everyday occurrence. Only a few miles each way, but the uphill run I have means first, low-range, hubs locked in.... when it rains (Oregon coast?) downhill can be kinda fun...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSCF1062.jpg
    DSCF1062.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 39

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
just got done loading up a couple vehicles to scrap. i wanted to jump into this thread too!!! i estimate close to 11,000 lbs of vehicles on a trailer that weighs 5500 lbs. hmmm.... good thing im not going too far...

Attachments

• 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    541.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 061.JPG
    061.JPG
    480.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    519.1 KB · Views: 22

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
bronco abuse was my ******* little brother parking it behind my shop for 9 years!!! damn floors rotted out and critters got in there. its a mess. i tried selling it for the drivetrain to no avail. this things been in my family since it was brand new, i rolled it my senior year and we fixed it up. trust me im not real happy about scrapping it.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice truck! Those bale baskets are the best!

Yes they are, we use them when we are loading the barn and putting straw on pallets, otherwise we fill a-lot of trailers in the field with the accumulator/ grapples. The day those pics were taken, we had two farmers who didn't bring goosenecks out, so it was getting late in the day and we had to get it off the ground... rain in the forecast. so we were dumping them into the baskets to get by.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7