Penetrating oils, what do u use?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do recall one that was interesting.....

Liquid Wrench...

Still could not prove it worked though seeing any differences in if there was a release on the threads or not...I've cut bolt/nut combos apart that have broke off and not seen any indication of creeping lube in between the threads...

JUST SAYIN....

Al

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used all kinds of stuff. From kroil to wd40, but there's one that hands down beats all those and that is archer spl.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use Toyota Rust Penetrant. works great... if its good enough to loosen a crapload of rusty bolts on our many many frame recalls, its good enough for me.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do recall one that was interesting.....

Liquid Wrench...
I bought a can of that once when I was just starting to wrench...I don't recall it doing any better than the "real" WD-40 that was available at the time (mid to late '90's). I wonder if Liquid Wrench changed their formula?

PB blaster is what ive used for years. It has worked every time i have needed it.
I've never tried PB Blaster as a penetrating oil, but I have to say that it did a heck of a job cleaning the tops of my pistons when I had my heads off ;Sweet

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PB Blaster seems to work well for me. I just spray it on and let it set for a few hours. I have heard alot about the Kano lab products and they seem to have the best solvent products out there. However, these products aren't available in stores when you need them the most, which is why I just go with the PB.

8ball

Reaction score
Another vote for Kroil. I worked as a Supply guy at a sheetrock factory (unbelievable corrosion issues) and the mechanics were all fans of ZEP products. I bought a case of Kroil and managed to convince one to try it. Within a month I had to buy 12 more cases of the stuff, and almost quit buying the ZEP stuff completely. Personally I've had good results with PB blaster as well.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I have used all of the popular brands including ZEP and found that some have qualities that are better suited for different jobs. Kroil is the best at penetrating rusted parts. especially bolts and nuts. WD40, liquid wrench, PB and ZEP all have a lubricant in them (Kroil does not, hence some non-believers) that is good for getting latches and rotating or sliding mechanisms to work again.

The last group have a downside in that the solvent that gets things moving again will dry up in time and become gummy. After you use them, be sure to put oil or some other real lubricant on the mechanism and you will be happy long time.

I have PB, WD40 and Kroil because I am happy using them for different things, and I tend to collect stuff anyway. Sometimes I think it will help more if I spray everything on a problem, despite knowing better.

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
kroil hands down!!! there is one better......it comes in a dark blue,,with some light red,,on the sticker on the can...i had one can,,thought i would get some more from friend,,he ran out,,and dont remember where he got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i had already thrown my can away!!!!!! grrrrrrrrr..:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao some days your the hammer,,other days you get nailed!!!!

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I use Rust Buster, I get it at the appliance parts supply I have an account at for work. Looks cheesy but it has never let me down. It's made by Supco.
You must be registered for see images attach

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use PB at the shop. Works great, just gives you a little high hee hee

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
. WD40, liquid wrench, PB and ZEP all have a lubricant in them (Kroil does not, hence some non-believers) that is good for getting latches and rotating or sliding mechanisms to work again.

That's not exactly true. The original Aero Kroil has no lubricant and it straight penetrating oil, but they also sell another version, Sili- Kroil that has a silicone based lubricant in it. I usually keep both on hand depending on the use.

As far as only being available mail order, I've found that most commercial HVAC supply houses carry Kroil on the shelf ( although you pay a premium when dealing with those places )

It is by far the best out there. Only beef I've ever had with them is I wish they would just go back to the smaller spray cans. The large cans last so stinking long ( because it takes so little of the stuff to do the job ) that the propellant ends up leaking out in this heat before all the stuff gets out of teh can, but I figured a workaround , I just take a refrigerant can side tap and puncture the can at the bottom and drain it into a pump spray container ( otherwise I just buy the bulk liquid when ordering direct and skip that )

As far as p blaster, the only thing I have ever found it effective at separating is money from my wallet I find the initials P and B strangely close to the *PlaceBo effect* :) theres a lot of products out there that folks shoot on and a few minutes later they go after it with a bit of extra grit in their gut and give credit to the goose grease. Unfortunately for me with the kind of crippling arthritis that I have, that kind of extra oomph just isn't in the cards, ,I have to rely on a penatrating oil that actually does the job all by itself without any extra arm and hand input from me, because I simply do not have it anymore like I did when I was a young fella ( yes, I too remember those days of walking away and then coming back and going apeman on a stuck fastner... but that was before my favourite chair had wheels on it LOL ), and Kroil is the only thing that hasnt let me down consistantly. In a jam CRC freeze off has worked on some that had minor rust buildup and weren't too tight, but it wound't get the real heavy stuff, that required waiting on the kroil .

First time I was introduced to Kroil, I had gone looking for my screw type ball joint press and found it sitting in a full bucket of water ( where it had been for about 2 years :eek: clamped down with 6 feet of pipe hanging off the ratchet ( and after soaking with industrial penetrationg oil from local supply house that was usually pretty worthless ) wouldnt budge it, and my neighbor who had an ice machine service saw me fighting this and came over and gave me a can and shot it down and told me to try it in the morning. First thing it popped right loose without a fuss been sold on it ever since and it's never ceased to amaze me.