Penetrating oils, what do u use?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Since we all have older trucks, most are in some aspect rusty i figure this is appropiate. What brand pentrating oil does everyone use?

For me, if its just something small ill use PB blaster (only until its all used up) but i swear by Free-All. I also use the ATF/Acetone mix sometimes...but before i mess with something ill have the blue flame ready. The Free-All is great, although slightly flamiable.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never tried Free-All, but after towcat introduced me to it, I've come to be a big fan of Kroil. Take a look here: http://www.kanolabs.com/ although you can also buy it off Amazon. My tailgate latch was just about completely seized by rust, so I sprayed some Kroil on the joint...about a half hour later, it was moving like new ;Sweet

This stuff is really amazing...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Arekroil by Kano Labe is the best thing since sliced bread. I have used all the rest but came back to the best... Its simpley amazeing how it creeps into any rusted thread and frees it up in no time. Read about the special offer. Buy two can of what you want... Try it.. If you don't like it send back the full can and keep the opened can....Get a full refund too.. I'm a betting guy that says you wont be sending anything back. The machine shop I retired from had 4 drums of that stuff because the AQMD told us we could not use a spary container. So we got the liquid and used in in a hand spary pump plastic container... WD40 was off limits too. The AQMD did a walk thru once looking for violations and found a can of WD40 sitting on a lathee bed... Big ass fine for that one... Even would not allow us to poison the weeds growing up thru cracks in the concrete. We had to use a hoe on them... Buy the Aerkroil. If you don't like it I will buy the stuff from you..

w4dsb

Reaction score
KROIL hands down I think in the food industry where i work we have tried it all to get rusty things apart.
you know how hard it is to get rusty things apart now imagine something that's been cleaned with soap or caustic and then disinfected with a chlorine solution almost daily. The Kroil works on this stuff!
there is also one made by ZEP called 45nc that works pretty dang good too bit not as good as Kroil

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Better gun smiths will use the Froil too. I prefer the aerosolve containers because it gets way back into small places easier but know this... The spray cap has a direction of spray on it. Many many years ago I did not know this. So I was on my hands and knees down between some very hot steam traced fuel lines in front of a stuck fuel oil burner on a fired up and shakeing like hell boiler trying to free up some stuck linkage.. I'm all stretght out pointing the can at the offending parts when all of a sudden the spray comes right back into my mouth...:eek: Worst tasteing mess I have ever had the displeasure to take. It wetted my mouth completely. Funny how it ran around in there so fast too. And of course... No water but in the controll room several levels below me.... But that stuff sure loosens up anything...

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used liquid wrench and wd40, I have never tried kroil I think I have to get some now and give it a shot.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never found a really good oil that I can prove penetrates....none really seem to do much IMHO....from WD 40 to PB blaster to Amsoil to what ever other panther **** I've tried over the years...my favorite though is oxyacet it's the best for stuck rusted nuts bolts n plain getting ***** done!

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever try loctite freeze and release? I never tried it but it seems like it would work pretty good.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter what you use, patience is the key. Let it soak in. The longer the better.

WD40 works great for me. So does Sea Foam Deep Creep.

I was not at all impressed with Kroil, despite other opinions. I'll take WD40 over Kroil any day. We have Kroil at work by the 5 gallon bucket....use as much as I want..... but it still left a lot to be desired.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I stumbled across Knock 'er Loose spray. Has done real good for me. Not sure if its a regional deal or available nation wide.