Penetrating oils, what do u use?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When something like a carbon steel nut and bolt rust tight they are really stuck. Hitting them with a hammer and backing up the oppistie side with a bigger hammer sometimes breaks loose the frozen threads. Rust will exert about 50,000 lbs of pressure on the threads as it grows in there. Braking loose that bond allows the Aerkroil to sneak in to break down the rust particales. Once apart power wire brush the threads... Apply antisieze and the next time it falls apart on you. Aerkroil comes in smaller cans too but I like the large cans best. One can never use too much of that stuff on anything. Its not a metal ptrtectant either nor is it a lubricant either. But it sure breaks loose a rusted threaded fastener. Want to speed its action up. Apply heat. Then cool it down with arekroil till you see it sucking into the threads. Hit with a hammer and easily remove the fastener. The heat does not have to make the metal red.. Just make it hot and watch it work for you. It will not make threads either. If something is gaulded your in a tuff spot. Kroil will help but when the threads become one with eash other its going to probably break the bolt or stud off. The very worst gaulded material is stainless steel to stainless steel. That stuff when not antisiezed first will gauld in a heartbeat. Then you need the air arc machine and a carbon scarfing rod... What a holly mess that can make too.. Been doing that stuff for many years too...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Fluid film
sprays on a like any but sticks on a surface much better. They promote it more as a corrosion inhibitor.

I'd be inclined to believe them. It looks like some serious stuff,, most likely a modern candidate for wd 40 replacement for commercial production and aerospace rust prevention but anything like that is going to want to stay in place to do its job, it's not going have the properties needed to really creep down into microscopic spaces to break really rusted stuff free

I remember when I hauled steel for the largest steel supplier in the state, the riggers had copious amounts of either wd 40 or another similar water displacing rust preventer on hand that they would shoot down all structural beams and other pieces specified " no rust" at loading time. Those things may not be the best for getting bolts loose, but they do a great job of keeping rust from ever starting in the first place ( what they were designed for )

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Living in the rust belt has taught me that there is NO SUBSTITUTE for heat. When things get rusted enough, penetrating oil is a waste of time. Up here, fasteners dont just rust together, the FUSE together, and no amount of oil will do anything.

And yes, I have a can of kroil oil I scabbed from work, doesnt seem to do any better the Marvel Mystery Oil I usually buy. About the only thing any of them are good for is after you get the nut/bolt broke free; there it helps keep the threads from galling.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
That's not exactly true. The original Aero Kroil has no lubricant and it straight penetrating oil, but they also sell another version, Sili- Kroil that has a silicone based lubricant in it.

What I said was exactly true. Kroil does not have any (significant amount of) lubricant in it. Aerokroil is simply the aerosol delivery of Kroil. Kano Labs has many products, some based on Kroil, I was not trying to list them all. Maybe you were trying to enlighten the crowd to the fact that Kroil comes in several variants, including one with lubrication via silicone? No need to attack the veracity of the report, just add your information.

I even have some Silikroil, but was not impressed with its performance. Perhaps I did not find the right application.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The stuff I mentioned earlier is called castle thrust. Found here http://www.castlepackspower.com/index.cfm?Page=Castle Thrust

I recognize that can. I bought some of that out on the road at a small truckstop once. It was fairly effective. Still not as good as Kroil, but Infinitely more effective than Pblaster. I'd buy the stuff in a heartbeat for lighter duty jobs.

There's a lot of smaller manufacture penetrating oils that are fairly close in performance and function. I have some that Howes puts out that i had to buy on a trip that's nothing spectacular, but it will get light stuff just fine

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I'm a Kroil fan. And I know it's not a lubricant. But it carries lubricant very well. The zone valves on my boiler were not opening/closing properly, So I sprayed a dab of Kroil on them. No problem, they freed up quickly. A day later, I sprayed another dab of Kroil on them immediately followed by a couple of drops of lightweight oil. The Kroil carried the oil inside the shaft/bushing area. They swing like butter to this day!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno...Kroil...kroil....kroil...I have not tried that one...I just hate not being able to go down to parts store n get the stuff I need. Annoys me quite a bit.

I'll have to bite the bullet and maybe get some.

Fliud film is more like a protectant than any nutbuster IMHO, it's kinda of like Cosmoline and I'd absolutely love to get a small case of that stuff for sure! Used to spray it on gear sets, cylinder bores etc....any machined part that needed complete protection...cosmoline is the BOMB...leaves a thick wax like coating protecting the part from rust and such.

Anyway...just thinking may try some kroil....LOL

Did I mention I don't like not being able to get it locally at a store?

JM2CW

Al