painting or coating intercooler pipes

wftree

Reaction score
I want to clean up the appearance of my motor. Thought of painting the intercooler tubes high gloss black, to match the re man engine,

what kind of paint or coating would work best. Will I have to use High Temp paint???

WFTREE

jvencius

Reaction score
wftree said:
I want to clean up the appearance of my motor. Thought of painting the intercooler tubes high gloss black, to match the re man engine,

what kind of paint or coating would work best. Will I have to use High Temp paint???

WFTREE

I would think that you could use high-temp BBQ grill paint, although I'm not sure if it comes in high-gloss or not.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its my understanding that the temp of the air coming OUT of the turbo under heavy boost is something like 400 degrees or more. And that the intercooler brings it back down to around 100 or so. The insulation on the intercooler tubes is partly to block the heat from entering the engine bay, and part to muffle some of the air noise.

I think POWDERCOAT on the outside would be the BEST option for durability, but maybe one of those "heavy abuse" paints like HAMMERITE or maybe RUSTOLEUM might work also.

At what temp is "high temp" paint recommended? 800 degrees? less?

wftree

Reaction score
What about ceramic coating. Someone on that other site recommended that. Is it something I can do myself.

I am not sure what high temp paint is rated for???

WFTREE

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about ceramic coatings, but you can purchase rattle cans of ceramic paint... I use the high gloss on my outdrive for my boat....

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can do a "bake on" paint yourself if your parts are small enough and your oven is big enough. There is/was an article over there on that other site that has a writeup in the featured articles section.

jvencius

Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Yes, you can do a "bake on" paint yourself if your parts are small enough and your oven is big enough. There is/was an article over there on that other site that has a writeup in the featured articles section.

Although if you're going to do that, you might want to buy a second oven and use it out in the garage. A buddy of mine from back home bought a garage sale stove for ~$100 IIRC (he was going to spray/bake A LOT of parts), and he bakes ceramic-sprayed car parts out in the garage with the door open since the smell is so powerful and his wife (who knows where he keeps the guns AND the ammo) would be rather unhappy if he were to use the good oven in the kitchen. :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
a true baked on ceramic coating would be the best i think, not sure how powder coating would do

as for the rattle can job or any paint for that matter to a certain extent your primer is gonna be what keeps you paint safe... on a engine that is painted the same color as the vechilcle (hot rods and stuff) most of the time there is just a some very good coats of primer under regular paint... now it it won't hold up on headers stuff or your downpipe but it should handle 400deg. no problem... especiall being its not at 400 most of the time

a good high temp primer and some high temp engine black (if thats what color you want) i would bet money would give you no problems at all

if it was mine i would definately give it a shot first.. if it doesn't work what are you out 30min. to remove them again and $12 worth of paint... a lot cheaper and many more color choices

better yet here it is from the horses mouth duplicolor is good to 1200 deg (i got curious as to how hot the engine paint was good for) so you should be A O.K.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn you anywayz. Now I got more crap to paint.

I got to looking at some pics of my engine and was like, DUH! how obvious!

You must be registered for see images

You'll notice all of my TYMAR parts are PC'd white, and I painted my engine cover white, now I have to do my intercooler tubes too.

wftree

Reaction score
Sorry I know how it is when someone has an Idea you like, you just gotta do it. I think I will go with gloss black for the tubes, after I get the insulation off and also do the Tymar intake at the same time.

WFTREE

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
just curious what are the IC pipes made out of... if they could be smoothed out and polished that would look sweet also.. aluminum would work best but i haven't paid them that much attention

if I took mine for a spin on the buffing wheel depending on what they are made of they could shine like new money

wftree

Reaction score
I thought of pollish but if Fords infinite wisdom the Wiring looms have worn some grooves in them. I thought Paint would do a better job covering up the imperfections

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony