Paint

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
For the truck in my sig. anyone who has done a paint job, basic one color job, what was the cost?

i saw an ad for macco, it was less then $200 bucks, but i think that was for like a friggen accord or something...maybe they'll honor my truck for it!!!:rotflmao :rotflmao

[email protected]

Reaction score
That depends.... On what you use. Dupont Chroma clear "clear" is around 170 a gallon.... Base coat is probably 140 a gallon. Variprime self etching primer is like 70 a quart... The prices of the "real" stuff like Dupont and PPG is crazy. Not to say you can't get a good base clear from Federated or NAPA. And a single stage paint is a lot less work.... Paint alone I suspect will be over 400 or so. There are some good high build primers around for 75 or so a gallon, and they don't way dupont...

Wayne

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Maaco eh? I would never use them again, yes thats right I had them paint my truck. This is one in Salem, and there quality control was below my standards, instead of taking 2 weeks like they said, it dragged on for a good 1.5-2months. And it ended up costing me a butt load, a butt-load I could have taken to the one shop in town that turned me down because they figured I didnt have the money, and they would have done a better job, oh well.

Anyways, I went all out got the best package and everything, ended up costing me $3300 :eek: , thats what I did when I saw the price :eek: :puke: . Anyways, other then them taking so long, it ended up being a pretty good paint job. I'll end up having it redone in a couple years by some real proffesionals, but until then it will work for me. I got the base/clear coat system, picked there Dupont blazing fire red paint. They did 2 base coats and 3 clear coats. They didnt wet sand it for me, so I have some orange peel, but nothing to bad.

When I first saw it the orange peel was real bad, and the tailgate was a different shade of red, so they fixed that for me, but it ended up taking a long time. All in all it was alright, I wouldnt use them for an all out paint job, but for a quick repair then it would be good. If you want a real high quality paint job, look elsewhere.

I just figured since they do a lot of work, the turn around on my truck would be like 3weeks max, ended up being more than double that.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Yea... I have a few friends who own body shops around here. Bottom line is, you get what you pay for! And a good paint booth costs 100k, building rent, electicity, office help, blah blah blah. I won't tell you what they expect to do on the book rates for repair... I can't comment on your maco, or any around here, but quite often the techs are very good, but they have so much pressure to "get stuff out the door" it's amazing. A real paint job on most vehicles requires them to take the front/back glass out, all the trim off, and be perfect. While 20 years ago people did not keep vehicles as long as they do now, the body shops back then could get away with less than perfect work. Today, people keep vehicles at least 10 years, so the paints they use have to last, or you will be mad and the insurance company will go back after the shop.

If they did three coats of clear and you have some orange peel, that's not the end of the world. One day to wet sand it, one day to polish it, and it will be NICE!!!!!!!!!

Wayne

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I ended up with $1000 for primer, Napa Crossfire paint and supergloss clear.
Granted I sprayed everything, inside and out I used about 4.5 gallons of paint and 5 quarts of clear.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you get what you pay for,thats the bottomline. my trk is 2003 mazda passion orange from ppg. 632. a gallon wow and it took 2 gallons. i painted my trk myself (which ive painted several before) and its really not that hard, just clear coat is the hard part. but your best bet is find a small body shop, they do the best work and the price is a little more then macca or earl shieb but its worth it in the end

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I personally dont mess around with the cheap stuff at all. Im PPG all the way, urethane primers and clear coat. But I have the fresh air respirator suit to make sure it doesnt kill me. Urethane is by far the best you can use, if you can use it. The biggest thing about it is it will kill you faster than jumping off a bridge with a black top beneath it.

I spent about $2500 in materials alone for my grandpas truck restoration. I'll keep you guys updated on its progress. It's going to be finished this spring one way or another.

Basically to get a paint job thats going to last you and look really nice its gonna cost you atleast 4-6k for a truck that size, and thats if you dont have any major body work that needs done to it.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just started to paint mine. I didn't use ppg, I used shopline. I got about $640 in all including primer and sealer. PPG is good paint but so is shopline and omni. I used PPG on my mustang and didn't see the extra cost make my ride look any better. If you take your time and do it right it will look just fine. I've painted around 20 different vehicles with omni and shopline brands and never had a bad reaction of paint yet so save your money and buy an off brand, But don't look at the cheapest either.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Oh, well most of the stuff I use is OMNI, but the colors and clear are PPG. But OMNI is GOOD stuff, its PPG, just their "cheaper" brand. I have yet to see the real difference in the true PPG stuff and the OMNI stuff. Do OMNI or Shopline, they are both PPG, and I believe they are both the same thing. Some stores carry it as OMNI and some carry it as Shopline.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the price of Glasurit Paint products :eek: $$$
Over 5K to completely redo my truck in the sig...but 8 years later it still looks wet.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
If you dont want to spend big bucks on a paint job, and dont need it to look like a show trophy, there's a cheap way to paint your truck.

ROLL IT!

I just did a truck a while back, with oil base enamel, one gallon and smooth rollers, little 6" rollers. Sand the truck good and get to rolling it on. A gallon of your favorite color goes a long way. After two coats, depending on how well you did, wet sand with fine grit paper, and you'll hardley be able to tell you used a roller to paint your truck.

I know this all seems like a redneck paint job at best, but like I said, if your not looking to win any show and shine awards, this is the cheapest and easiest way to go.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Jeremy is right on there. I've seen some REALLY nice high school hot rods painted with rollers then wet sanded or had the crap buffed out of them and they look great. The oil base paint will fade some with UV light, but it does one other thing that most people dont thing of. It acts as a very good rust barrier.
I personally wouldnt do it just because Im such a perfectionist but it can be done, and done right it looks really good.

Now Jeremy, WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GET THAT MOUSE THAT KNOWS ALL MY INFO!

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
We painted my brothers truck- dodge single cab- whole truck, 3 base coats and 4 coats of clear like 2 gallons of paint and 1 gallon of clear total came to like $600 to do it ourselves.

we used nason paint from o riellys but really look at the colors when you get the book because original estimate was 1200 but we found a paint that was the exact same color just less metallic and went with that

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online