pain in the crotchular region

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
friggin block heater died last night, woke up to -17*, currently 2 above, been trying to get it running all day, I'm about ready to fire up the mustang just to go into town..

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
It should start... 2 10 sec glowplug cycles, no throttle and 5 sec max of cranking and mine will start at -5 (coldest it's been here)...
Maybe try running plugs longer and foot to the floor?
Batteries low?
Could always point a torpedo heater at the engine, hair dryer in the intake, or build a small fire under it.

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
a metal pan with wood burned down to hot coals has worked for me many times. with no wind of course. Had one old pos that would barely start with the block heater, when the heater died, I started using this trick.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
yeah, wind was kicking right into the front of the truck at about 10mph yesterday, just a breeze, but it was enough that the heat gun sitting in the intake wasn't doing much, finally got it started, neighbor came home and I had him pull me 2 blocks in first :p

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ebay has block heaters for around $35.00 but.. Thats no help right now for starting in the cold. But at least you wont be bent over by the dealership..

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I have a tank-style engine heater that's NIB from the 50's, I was thinking about putting it in until summer comes around (gotta work on it outside) and put in a block heater then, but I set up an appt for friday at 1 to have a block heater put in earlier today, $160 installed, not all too bad