Original Motor Teardown

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well it was about 96 deg here today so I figured I would have a look see why my motor was eating around 6 gallons of coolant in the 32 mile round trip to work. I pulled the passenger side head in about 10 minutes worth of work only to find nothing. It had the original head gasket and it was really in good shape for 370,000 miles. So I guess its a problem on the drivers side head. Thats the side that I lost number 8 to cavitation about 8 years ago. I'll sure be looking closely at it tomorrow. The new motor has around 5200 miles on it and it still smoke blue under any kind of acceleration. The more I push down, the more blue smoke comes out.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't we determined that for whatever reason its #8, 6, and 4 that are most likely to cavitate? If so, that would be in keeping with most other folks' experiences.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Thats what I have been told. I lost #8 the first time and really thought it would be something on the passenger side. I guess not. I'll post back with what I find today.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well gee. It appears to be cylinder # 8 that hydrolocked. I know this was the clyinder that was sleeved 8 years ago. I remember looking at it in the shop. The area where the sleeve fits the block is depressed like someone o-ringed part of it. It was not that way when I saw it last. I wonder if thats the location of thecoolant leak? I cleaned up all the other piston tops. They were just a little black from soot but... EVERYONE WAS CRACKED... They all had about the same area cracked. It was accross the eyebrow and pointed towards the front of the motor on all pistons. Some kinda spiderwebbed too. They are really loose in the bores. I ran the Banks sidewinder turbo and boosted to 12 lbs. These were the factory pistons. My camers broke but I'll get some pictures so you can see what things look like. I wonder if these cracks look anything like the pistons in the Enterprise....:rotflmao

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks...there was another guy on TDS forum that had a sleeved rebuild fail in a 7.3 diesel/hypermax turbo. It seems that a sleeve is only as good as the machinist who does it. That guy was Dazedandconfusedv8 on the other forum.

sassyrel

Reaction score
IIFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF---sleeves are done right--you wont have problems--have had more than one done--no problems---