Operating an IDI in cold weather

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like some have already said, provision the cab for hours of sitting stranded.

A C.B.-radio is easily worth it's weight in gold; leave it on channel-19 and it will keep you alerted to any wrecks, slides, or other hazards that might just be around the next curve.

Regardless of people claiming how their truck will start un-plugged down in single-digit temperatures, do the intelligent thing and plug it in at any time it is below freezing/32*; the engine seals, starter, and batteries will all live much longer for your troubles.

It is nice to know that in an un-plugged sub-zero emergency the truck will start, but that does not mean that it is good intelligent practice.

White bottle Power-Service should be added with EVERY gallon of fuel that is put in the tank.

Like already said, a can of ether will sooner or later save your hide.

Plain old 85W-140 rear-end lube and 15W-40 engine-oil is fine for most of the United States year round.

Wear your long-johns at all times and you will be fine. ;Sweet

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Plugging in @32 is a waste of money. These trucks start very easily down to about 0 degree's.

There's a lot of scare tactics being thrown around. Cold like anything the OP will see in VT during Dec. is nothing. If We were talking -20 degree's then some of these tactics MIGHT be worth it.

Last edited:

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Plugging in @32 is a waste of money. These trucks start very easily down to about 0 degree's.

There's a lot of scare tactics being thrown around. Cold like anything the OP will see in VT during Dec. is nothing. If We were talking -20 degree's then some of these tactics MIGHT be worth it.

I agree that our trucks will start but they will start easier when plugged in with less strain on the starting system. I know this from experience. When my truck sits in the cold all day at work or hunting it always starts but I like it plugged in while sitting in the garage for a couple of hours in the morning if I can.;Sweet

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score

they start good if everything is in good shape;Sweet take glowplugs away and its pretty im possible to crank an idi even at 100 degrees there not many that will crank without glow plugs

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is well maintained, I just got new batteries & tires over the summer. I have a leaking seal in the front left axel that's just gonna have to leak. Its easier to add a squirt of gear oil every couple weeks than tear the entire axel down to replace the seal.

I always carry an extra fuel filter, tools, belts, hoses, chains, straps, jacks, hammers, oil, ether, fuel, water, aluma-seal, and whatever else I can fit in the box anyhow so I'm good there. One poster asked if I had ever driven in snow/ice before. Well, we had an ice/snow storm here in Florida in 1989. We had snow and ice for a couple of days. I did drive on it a little then, and I did not enjoy it. I have not driven on any ice or snow since then, something like 21 years.

I appreciate everyone's comments and it should certainly be an experience. I hadn't thought about fuel gelling - it does not do that here, nor the possibility of being stranded on the road in bad weather for hours on end. I guess it's a good idea to keep plenty of fuel in the tank to keep the motor running for the heater. I suppose if that happened after a few hours I'd probably just get out and slit my wrists.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Just keep all you options available to ya. I har a wool blanket and thick flannel just in case. A hatchet and a gallon ziplock bag of kindling with a couple lighters. Paper comes in the way of old homework underthe seat LOL. And I haw plenty of flammable liquids to start a fire with.

This last winter here in Texas we had a night that was in the single digits, truck started up as if it was 70* outside. A nice glow time, good glow plugs and good starter are a must.

I was wanting to go to Carrol college up in Montana, as that area appealed to me. They offer power outlets in te parking lots of the dorms to plug your vehicle in. But now I'm in Texas LOL

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is well maintained, I just got new batteries & tires over the summer. I have a leaking seal in the front left axel that's just gonna have to leak. Its easier to add a squirt of gear oil every couple weeks than tear the entire axel down to replace the seal.

I always carry an extra fuel filter, tools, belts, hoses, chains, straps, jacks, hammers, oil, ether, fuel, water, aluma-seal, and whatever else I can fit in the box anyhow so I'm good there. One poster asked if I had ever driven in snow/ice before. Well, we had an ice/snow storm here in Florida in 1989. We had snow and ice for a couple of days. I did drive on it a little then, and I did not enjoy it. I have not driven on any ice or snow since then, something like 21 years.

I appreciate everyone's comments and it should certainly be an experience. I hadn't thought about fuel gelling - it does not do that here, nor the possibility of being stranded on the road in bad weather for hours on end. I guess it's a good idea to keep plenty of fuel in the tank to keep the motor running for the heater. I suppose if that happened after a few hours I'd probably just get out and slit my wrists.

Clean out the axle-vent and that seal leak most likely will go away.

Plugged vents are cause for 99% of seal leaks and 99.9% of all failed seals. ;Really

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
One poster asked if I had ever driven in snow/ice before. Well, we had an ice/snow storm here in Florida in 1989. We had snow and ice for a couple of days. I did drive on it a little then, and I did not enjoy it. I have not driven on any ice or snow since then, something like 21 years.

The 4 wheel drive helps on slick roads but is not foolproof. Since you have the ZF5 then use the tranny to help you slow down on ice and snow. I always slow down early and I down shift reasonably. Hit too low a gear and you'll lock them up. The front axle locked in and in 4HI can help keep all four turning instead of locking up the steers in the front while the rear drivers try to push the front of the truck. 360s can follow that mistake. I've been driving on snow, ice and black ice since I've been driving and if you're careful it's nothing to get your bloomers in a bunch over.:D Caution and giving yourself time to stop is the key. Oh, and allow extra distance when following in traffic. Sudden stops and slick roads will ruin someone's day. Probably the ****** in the ricer you'll be plowing into.:backoffLOL

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Test your antifreeze, make sure you have good batteries, battery cables and starter, but most importantly, make sure all your GPs work.

I have had my truck up on the mountain in single digit weather many times and I have never plugged in and never had any problems, but I am a stickler on checking all my GP every October. I only had 5 working GPs when I bought my truck and you wouldn't believe the difference between even 7 working GPs versus 8. I figure you have to have a tip top GP system or you'll end up taxing the batteries and/or starter, which are substantially more expensive and harder to swap.

Do a little preventive maintenance, you'll be fine.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And by the way: driving a dually with highway tires in the snow is a white knuckled horror show, but driving a dually with something with a little more aggressive tread is downright fun in the snow. Drifting a crew cab long box is pretty fun IMHO ;Sweet

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I will chim in a little here due to my experience driving in the northland and being stranded.

You have new batteries you said so that shouldn't be an issue. Check glow plugs like Everyone has already stated.

The biggest thing that has been said but needs emphasis is driving slow. If you are on the interstate and you start passing people who have Vermont tags on them then you should atke a hint and slow down. Anticipate your stops and start slowing down twice as far away or more from when you are used to on dry pavement. Getting going shouldn't be much of an issue but its the stopping that gets interesting.

I am a big fan of survival equipment year round reguardless of temperature. Its just good practice.

Thad

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many good points and advice has been given - I think you probably know what you need to do by now.
Actually Vermont does get pretty cold the record low is -50F up in the northeast kingdom, but I think it's the potential for snow/ice that could give you much more of a problem. THis area is very hilly, and the Green Mountains around Manchester get over 100" snow a season. Whatever that little flurry you had in Florida is more like a typical day in northern New England and I wouldn't really count it as experience. Just go slow, stay alert and brake with caution. If the road is mostly snow with a few bare spots - use 4High. If the roads are mostly bare with a few patches of snow then just use 2WD and be cautious. You won't need 4Low. You will absolutely need anti-gel or you'll be in trouble.
ONe thing that hasn't been mentioned is that I would asap wash all that damn salt off your truck and underbody as soon as you can. Oh and lock de-icer can come in handy if you do wash it and they ice up.
Enjoy your trip and Christmas in VT - picture old Norman Rockwell paintings.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever that little flurry you had in Florida is more like a typical day in northern New England and I wouldn't really count it as experience.

That was exactly my point- I don't have any real experience driving in snow & ice. Besides, that was 21 years ago & anything that I might have learned then I don't know now. I'm already just about the slowest thing on the road here in the flat woods so I don't believe I'll be passing any Vermonteers. If I were the one doing the planning, we wouldn't be going. I think it's too far, in unfamiliar terrain, on unfamiliar roads, in unfamiliar weather. That being said, I've got my summons so we'll be going...

mooseracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take glowplugs away and its pretty im possible to crank an idi even at 100 degrees there not many that will crank without glow plugs

My cranks pretty damn easy without glow plugs LOL

It sure did fire alot easier though after replacing the originals that had a 165k on them.