Operating an IDI in cold weather

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some unknown reason we will be traveling to the Manchester, VT, area for Christmas this year. I have lived in Florida all my life and have virtually no experience with cold weather - I mean real cold weather. We get down into the twenty's around here sometimes, but nothing like below freezing for days on end.

I'm not concerned about the distance or reliability, I drive close to 2,000 miles a month so my truck is no stranger to being driven.

So anyhow, I need to know what to expect; how is my truck going to react to real cold weather. Do I need to change the oil in the differentials, transmission and transfer case? Should I just drive around in 4wd once I'm in the snow? What about tires? Any tricks to improve cold weather starting other than plugging it in?

This is what I have to drive, it has seating for everyone and I'm not going to rent some rice burner that will lose a density/mass contest in the event of a collision...

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure your glow plugs are all working as with the block heater. A block for the radiator may help with warmups.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the temps get down to cold weather I throw a piece of cardboard in front of the grill. It's a bit redneck but it works. By doing that I am keeping the temp up as if I was driving in the summer and the cab heat gets nice and warm. It also helps in starting because the cold wind can't blow in their.

As for starting in cold weather use an anti gel and double the dose of what it recommends. Having all 8 glow plugs helps and I have not used my block heater even in single digits and never had a problem starting as long as the anti gel was in the fuel.

Make sure your batteries are up to standards and if you have any doubts about them then replace them before making the trip up.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Use 2wd unless 4wd is needed, if you drive around in 4wd the truck will be squirrely and rather than a fish tail when you turn it will skate straight sideways. As for tires make sure that they're good, not bald. It will probably be a little cold blooded for what you're used to, and unless it's plugged in it will be loud when it fires up. When starting it watch you're oil pressure depending on the temperature give it about 30 seconds if it doesn't come up then shut her off and plug in. I'm not sure how cold the weather is there but round here it's not uncommon for my truck to get started in negative temperatures once in a while it will argue, but always starts.
Before you leave make sure to clean all you're battery connections, and have your batteries tested, strong batteries and clean connections are important for us in the cold (cold kills batteries). Take spare fuel filters and some form of anti-gel fuel additive.
For the record have you ever driven in snow or on ice?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I just realized you have a dualie, you may want some weight and a spacer in between the duals for the snowy parts. The extra rubber makes you float on top of the snow rather than cutting through it, the spacers help to spit out the snow and ice that gets packed in between them.
When starting from a dead stop use 2nd or 3rd in the snow if you're running 4.10's be careful with the throttle in snow, and if you start to slide then hit the clutch, if you're quick it'll bring the back behind you.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't have a problem with the truck. Your main problem will be getting there if we have bad weather when you are traveling. So take some pillows and blankets to sleep with along with some food that won't spoil. I was trapped for 7 hours last December a day after a storm hit on I-81. I guess if you run up 95, you will be closer to the coast and that might help. Get some good maps also so you can take alternate secondary roads to get around a mess on the interstate. Traveling in the winter can be an experience.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
The usual good maintenance along with the plugs and batteries will be enough. I use Power Service in my fuel up here in north Idaho in the winter and we get below zero so that will be fine. My dad drives an '02 dually and he doesn't have any problems with snow other than the outside duals have to break snow like the fronts and that can get you stuck but highway driving in the snow shouldn't be a concern. If you can plug it in for two to four hours after sitting over night that will help take the strain off the starting system. It should start anyway but plugged in is faster, easier and heats up much quicker.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I might get a flamming for this...but bring a can of ether.

If you find yourself on the side if the road in cold cold temps. Tried several times to start the truck with plugs and nothing. Let the truck sit for a minute. Have someone spray ether as you crank (after making sure the glowplugs won't be on either). You should be fine though, my truck started with a dying starter areound the 5* area.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might get a flamming for this...but bring a can of ether.

If you find yourself on the side if the road in cold cold temps. Tried several times to start the truck with plugs and nothing. Let the truck sit for a minute. Have someone spray ether as you crank (after making sure the glowplugs won't be on either). You should be fine though, my truck started with a dying starter areound the 5* area.

that or some gas in a spary bottle its not as ******* them

sootman73

Reaction score
all this depends on how well your truck starts now. does it fire up at the bump of the starter or does it take a few seconds? a few seconds turns into 25-30 and a bump turns into 10-15 of cranking when its cold. make sure your batteries and starter are in good shape. should spin over too fast warm or cold for you to count the revolutions. nothing is worse than replacing a starter in cold, windy weather in a driveway.

also you can leave it plugged in all night but be prepared to send money for the electric bill. it doubled my friends monthly bill for the seven nights it sat plugged in at his apartment. yes it takes that much power...

oh and for the oil pressure issue starting cold run thinner oil for sure and put the lucas additive in if you dont already. you can feel how much smoother the start ups are with it in there.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wont flame you Fordguy100, anytime traveling far from home, be ready for anything you can think of.

I almost forgot, 4x4 is great for getting started in snow and ice but that's all to count on it for. I live in Woodland Park Co. for Co. Springs, Co for several years and we would see people every year come up there with their new 4x4s an think that that would let them drive "normal", NOT! Just remember, it will get you going but it wont keep you going, unless it's going and going and going. After my wife spun out on her first in counter with black ice, "I didn't think that was supposed to happen with 4wheel drive."

Last edited:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
It gets pretty dang cold here in No Utah and I typically pack a few extra things that come in handy when temps get below freezing. Hope for the best--plan for the worst. Test and make sure your antifreeze is good, fuel system needs to be in good shape (leaking return line O-rings will ruin your trip), and you better have two good batteries and a full reservoir of windshield washer fluid. After learning the hard way time after time here are some of the things you'll now find behind my seat in winter:

-Lots of Howes anti-gel.

-Spare fuel filter. Had one freeze up from not draining the water once :rolleyes: and its a pain to thaw out and drain out all the gelled up goo. Pull out the new one top it off and be on your way ;Sweet

-Butane torch. Its a royal pita to chisel ice off of lug nuts when you get a flat in sub zero weather ;Sweet

-Assortment of tools, a good spare tire and a couple flashlights. Also a high quality tow strap (no chains!) and some clevises. These big trucks come in handy when people slide off the road in the middle of nowhere. A good quality set of jumper cables.

-blankets, coats, snow boots gloves and other cold weather clothing for the whole family.

-Grill cover (or chunk of cardboard in front of the radiator). I swear by these as they keep your temp where it should be and also give you better mileage. Just be smart about using them!

-Granola bars, water and other non perishable food. Just in case I get stuck in traffic or slide off the road and the kids and wife start crying :D

I also would buy your fuel from a truck stop. I've seen diesel fuel gelled in the nozzles right at the pump at convenience stores several times in the past. Truck stops usually won't risk the liability. Have fun on your trip!

Andrew

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you will have any issues if you keep up with your truck maintenance. Just make sure to use a good amount of fuel additive and be smart. Here is my truck starting up in the winter, it was single digits maybe even negative when i took this.

Good luck and have fun in the snow! :thumbsup:

You must be registered for see images attach

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Umm.... You Guys seem to think it actually gets cold in VT???? Pshht, that's the rich peeps playground.

I laugh at peeps when they talk about winter fronts. They are not needed.

If Your truck is maintained properly, You'll be fine. Make sure Your starter, batt's, cables, Gp's, coolant, and thermostat are all in the proper working order, and there will be absolutely nothing to worry about.

The one most important thing for safe winter driving are TIRES.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online