Open Downpipe

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
using some inspriation from this thread....http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?41827-Open-downpipe-is-pretty-badass

i decided to take the intermediate pipe out of my exhaust system so i was just running on the DP. i was expecting some sweet turbo whistle, but instead i got just a tad of whistle at 1500rpm and the exhaust note sounded like crap.

who has run an open dp on the factory turbo and how did it sound?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i had one for awhile only because it rusted of right under the pass seat. it whistled pretty loud (banks WG sidewinder) but it covered the underside of the truck with corrosive soot. i dont recommend it

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Mine is straight piped and when i ran the 093 from gonecrazyi, it whistled like crazy and the turbo was going bad too. With the new turbo, it whistles like mad. even with the windows up, it kinda gets annoying.

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a factory turbo but with my NWG Banks, 3 inch downpipe to 4 inch straightpipe, exiting before the passenger rear tire = very little whistle. With the windows up I only hear the whistle when the boost is at 5+ psi. And even then it isn't very loud. At idle with my ear next to the tailpipe there is a faint sound of whistle. I also have a psd intercooler if that makes a difference.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Mine sounded great, I ran out of time and had to hit the road and go to canton...
You still have the factory downpipe? I had the banks downpipe on mine.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't with the factory/093 turbo, but I ran with an open downpipe for about 4 years with an ATS 088 non-gated turbo, and I would rather strongly recommend against it. I did it out of necessity; couldn't hook up the stock n/a exhaust after putting the 088 kit in and didn't have the $$ to get a new exhaust system. There were two major problems with it:

1) As mentioned, you're going to get the entire underside of your truck coated with soot...there's really no avoiding that with this "setup". That's going to make working under the truck a miserable task for years to come...regardless of what color skin you have when you go under the truck, you're going to come out from under the truck darker than a piece of obsidian glass :shocked:

2) It's LOUD!! I would say that is' no louder to an outside observer than having a straight pipe exiting from the stock location, but it's going to make life absolutely miserable in the cab if you're driving the truck anything resembling a long distance. If you have someone riding with you, you can barely hear the other person screaming :shocked: (might be a good thing if your better half prefers to express her displeasure at high decibel levels LOL ) and you could well end up with permanent hearing loss. Maybe you only use your truck locally, but I need my truck to be able to make a 400+ mile trip on short notice...and, running down the freeway at 65 mph with an open downpipe would leave my ears ringing for the next week :shocked: It finally got to the point where I had to wear earmuffs for any drive longer than 30 minutes or so.

In short...I agree that it sounds mean :D but it's not worth the extra cab noise or the mess it's going to make of your undercarriage. I would recommend not doing it.

BTW, here's a video where you can hear what my truck sounded like with the open downpipe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UoB-tW5B44

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ebay sells a "turbo whistle"....:sly:eek::angel::rolleyes: Actually if you want to make the turbo whistle more just notch the hot side of the wheel blades but... Its a hit ans miss thing. You do too much and the sound will ruin your hearing the whistle can be that loud and anoying... And taking some nicks out of the blades throws off the balance. Remember these turbos spin around 120,000 rpm boosting up there. Thats 2000 rpm... Per second.....:eek::eek::eek:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i guess should have mentioned that i was just doing this to see what it sounded like. no plans of keeping it like that. yes i have the factory dp still.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove around last month with just a down pipe.
Sounded badass and wasn't too loud. More whistle with whole exhaust tho. Engine noise just overpowered the whistle.
But I have the hypermax with a 3in dp.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove around last month with just a down pipe.
Sounded badass and wasn't too loud. More whistle with whole exhaust tho. Engine noise just overpowered the whistle.
But I have the hypermax with a 3in dp.

I agree with this^^. I drove around with an open down pipe for a day before I had my exhaust made. It really was not as loud as I thought it would be. I now have the banks downpipe with a stright pipe 4" exhaust and it's really not loud and it does not whistle super loud.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
last night i jsut idled and reved my truck. this morning i drove it down my drive way.

results...................YUCK! open done pipe scuks big time.

XanRa

Reaction score

DragRag

Reaction score
Music to my ears dyoung. my 05' 6.0l sounded like that through an exhaust system, I miss that noise. Might be to loud in the cab though with it coming out right there up front.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
sounds amazing dyoung. if my truck sounded like that i don't care if it got 10mpg i would still drive it just to hear that turbo. was that vid with no exhaust system at all or just a dp?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online