Old tires

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy this thread really has me nervous about going to the rally on 13 year old tires. :eek: They look good and still have good tread. And have been kept indoors, but.... They were 12 years old last year and I went just as far. The dilema for me is that I don't have over a grand to remedy the situation at the moment.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I highlly disagree with the Mich man!

Bias tires ride so much better than radials! Anyone that ran Bias will know this is true!

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Boy this thread really has me nervous about going to the rally on 13 year old tires. :eek: They look good and still have good tread. And have been kept indoors, but.... They were 12 years old last year and I went just as far. The dilema for me is that I don't have over a grand to remedy the situation at the moment.

Gee -I'm sorry I did this to you Mel!! :rotflmao:D

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that michelin site was made by sales men. not engineers. lets compare high pressure bias to low pressure radial? lol. radial tires have no place in ag equipment.

truth:
radials have less rolling resistance on smooth surfaces. less heat
bias have better flotation on soft surfaces.
radials weigh less

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
might be a dumb question since i am learning here but can you still get bias ply?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I think this is gonna be like "which truck is better".... Me I run the radials - it's the newest offering and you can't find a new car or truck sitting on a lot with bias ply for a reason...

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can pretty much only get bias tires from odd ball offroad tire brands. interco (super swamper), pit bull tires, some mickey thompsons. there are also retro tire manufacturers, coker etc. that offer old style bias tires. of course off road only tires (tractor, heavy equipment) are still mostly bias.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Onces the pig is restored, I wanna try these on it:
You must be registered for see images attach

Hercules HDT Bias ply.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can pretty much only get bias tires from odd ball offroad tire brands. interco (super swamper), pit bull tires, some mickey thompsons. there are also retro tire manufacturers, coker etc. that offer old style bias tires. of course off road only tires (tractor, heavy equipment) are still mostly bias.

They are not quite so obsolete as that, else I couldn't find plenty to choose from so easily.

Demand is what creates supply; when enough people quit just buying what is laying on the floor for sale cheap, and demand quality bias tires, then the supply will meet the demand.

The problem is that 99.9% of buyers are simple "consumers" that make their buying decisions from such silly things as "consumer reports" and such. :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
radials have less rolling resistance on smooth surfaces. less heat

Which is a good thing, because a radial cannot with-stand being hot for long.

If the common public could see what I see every day, radials would be far less desirable. :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bias or radial ??

Take plenty of money; according to Cyndi, "money changes everything". :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> GOOD PLACE FOR A FUNNY STORY <<<

TRUE STORY

A couple summers ago, a car-load of well-heeled old blue-haired widow-women went to the big city on a shopping mission.

These old ladies late husbands had left them all in fairly good financial shape.

One's had left her with a big old blue Fleetwood Brougham, a real road-eating machine; that Cadillac was the means of their conveyance for the day.

After a long hard day's shopping and eating at a couple different high-dollar restuarants, these tired old sisters embarked on their journey back towards home.

While cruising merrily along on the "Parkway", not another car in sight,

KER --- BOOOOMMMMMM!!!

:eek: Those old sisters thought they had been dynamited. :eek:

Once the initial episode of fear and panic subsided, they gathered most of their wits and noticed there was no smoke, no big ball of fire, no mushroom cloud, and still not another car in sight; what on earth could it have been ??? :dunno

Wet drawers and all, they continued homeward.

Not until they arrived safely at the first one's house to let her out did they find just what all the excitement had been about.

When they opened that big cavernous trunk to retrieve her purchases, everything in there was knocked about, and a coating of fine white powder was covering everything.

Further investigation revealed that the brand-new ten-year-old steel-belted radial spare tire had stood it as long as it was going to and had catastrophically failed within the confines of the trunk.

The tread was peeled back like a banana-peel, the steel cords sprayed out, and a big gaping hole through the casing.

It was the most exciting thing those old matriarchs had evidenced since the tent-meeting back in '73. LOL