Old Blue: 4th life

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
never adjusted the timing and have no real clue how to do it, I also have two almost full tanks from april or whenever the wreck happened, but its 10 o'clock and I'm gonna get another beer and find something to eat. Try to give my head downtime haha pretty much the next week will be nonstop on this thing as I had my last lecture of my college career today and have nothing til my final at the end of the week.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
I have absolutely no clue how to time these things but that doesn't make sense to cause this much of a boost problem, at any rate it idles smooth at 650 rpm's. Wouldn't it idle rough if it were out of timing?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
The turbo is gated right? Have you checked to make sure the gate isn't opening too soon or that it isn't stuck partially open? Just a thought. I know you have been busting your tail to get it going and sometimes when going full tilt we can miss things.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I have absolutely no clue how to time these things but that doesn't make sense to cause this much of a boost problem, at any rate it idles smooth at 650 rpm's. Wouldn't it idle rough if it were out of timing?

no, my timing has never causes rough idling and i have seem from about 5-6 to 14 which is well outside the 8.5-9.5 recommended. you need a meter to time these trucks right, you can get close if you know what you are doing by ear. a meter is required to get it right though, unfortunately it seems to be the only more complicated tool of working on these simple trucks. wish you were closer i could time it for you.

sounds like it is more than timing though, that might just be a piece of it.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
The turbo is gated right? Have you checked to make sure the gate isn't opening too soon or that it isn't stuck partially open? Just a thought. I know you have been busting your tail to get it going and sometimes when going full tilt we can miss things.

Oh I put some vise grips on the line to the wastegate to temp disable it and revved it a few times in the driveway and couldn't hear it anymore, didn't want to drive it again w/o gauges.

no, my timing has never causes rough idling and i have seem from about 5-6 to 14 which is well outside the 8.5-9.5 recommended. you need a meter to time these trucks right, you can get close if you know what you are doing by ear. a meter is required to get it right though, unfortunately it seems to be the only more complicated tool of working on these simple trucks. wish you were closer i could time it for you.

sounds like it is more than timing though, that might just be a piece of it.

The truck has never been timed as far as I know, there is a local shop that specializes in powerstrokes, a few large diesel shops, and an international place, would any of them have the timing thing? if anyone has any ideas I would love to get this thing timed anyways prob monday

sak778

Reaction score
Step one get that boost gauge mounted in thea intake. even if it's just temporary in the truck. is your turbo kit new or used? make shure the wastgate linkage moves freely. Also you don't want to build alot of boost when your just sitting still idieling in the driveway. the motor needs to have a load on it so it can build up. drop it in gear and hold the brake and stomp it and watch the boost build up. :yell:***very bad for your transmission to do for any length of time*** What controls the vacume that controls your waste gate? Could any of that be bad? Holding it partialy open? what do you have the max boost set at? 10 psi on a turbo isn't going to whistle as much as 30 psi. Sean

YMMV

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
It's a used ATS wastegated kit, I tore the turbo apart and cleaned it before installing it as there was dust and what not inside it. The wastegate seemed fully functional when doing this but I have never messed with one, just common sense told me it was ok. And yes I'm gonna temp install the gauges, loading the trans will be a trick since its manual... haven't adjusted the wastegate either and don't know what it's set to.

sak778

Reaction score
loading the trans will be a trick since its manual...
:oops: Opps my bad :idiot: :dunno...
Soooo chain it to a post and power brake it then. ;burnout
No really, sounds like a test drive down the driveway. Full on second gear for a hundred feet :peelout is all it will take to feel if there's a differance or not..... :sly ;Sweet :thumbsup: Sean
YMMV

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Well in typical college student fashion I put off working on the truck to party, but now I'm back. Figured I would button a few things up and get my bench put back in for the time being, that thing fits me perfect I think I'll just have it reupholstered and be done with the seat issue, my current issue is installing the boost gauge.

They gave me the hose and plastic fitting, how do I convert it to the pipe fitting in the pic below? do they make threaded to ferrule adapter? If so its another trip to the parts house

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh I also got the hood pins installed friday

Anyone want this thing?

sak778

Reaction score
"do they make threaded to ferrule adapter?" Yes.
Do you know how the wastgate linkage works. if so zip tie it in the full closed position and test for boost after you get the gauge in.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
O and powerbraking/powerblocking is easy with a stick shift. hold the brake and gas with one foot and let out on the clutch with the other. once the clutch is out you can take over the brake with the left foot and the gas with the right. easy as that LOL

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
"do they make threaded to ferrule adapter?" Yes.
Do you know how the wastgate linkage works. if so zip tie it in the full closed position and test for boost after you get the gauge in.

used vise grips:sly

O and powerbraking/powerblocking is easy with a stick shift. hold the brake and gas with one foot and let out on the clutch with the other. once the clutch is out you can take over the brake with the left foot and the gas with the right. easy as that LOL

haha, thanks but I didn't graduate high school w/o learning nothing:rotflmao:rotflmao:peelout

I have the gauges wired in, just need to get the fitting, I pulled the dash off my parts truck to get some wiring essentials as currently I can only start my truck with a screwdriver under the hood... I'll slap my license plate on the front and track down a fitting right after I get some electrical issues out of the way

sak778

Reaction score
I saw where you used vice grips. I suggested zipping the linkage to make shure it was fully closed and not just stuck in the middle of its travel by a weak spring not returning it all the way (experiance from working on a gm 6.5t talking here). Then you can test for boost while the truck is sitting in neutral. Sean

YMMV

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
I checked it and sure enough I was makin around 9 psi, I turned the pump up around 3 flats and pumped out around 12 psi, I have a crappy vid and some pics I'll post