1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oilburners 2019 Gatlinburg Rally

Discussion in 'Events and Get togethers' started by hesutton, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Jason1377

Jason1377 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'll have to pass this yr won't get a vacation or save enough personal days to take off.but will enjoy the pictures n stories you lot post

hesutton likes this.
  2. subway

subway be nice to the admin :D

Holy Moly that is a drive! looks like 18 hrs on the road time, it would be great to meet you in person though if you pull that off. at least you don't have to cross a mountain range to get here. i remember driving back home to central PA from Whichitaw Falls (outside Dallas Forte Worth), about 24 hrs of road time all by my lonesome. got some good books on tape finished up! lol

Thewespaul likes this.
  3. subway

subway be nice to the admin :D

sorry to hear that, it is still worth it though if you can sneak away for a extended weekend. depending on where you are it might not be to far for you.

4. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

Its a good two day haul traveling with the family but not too bad, its about 4 hours more than our usual trip up to Colorado to visit family, takes a long time to get out of Texas then the states start going faster. I have a ferret timing setup and a snap on setup so I could bring either if anyone wants to learn both ways. I personally prefer the ferret setup personally.

subway likes this.
  5. laserjock

laserjock Almost there... Supporting Member

I’ve always got my meter. I haven’t made reservations yet but I put in for time off so in theory we will be on the grounds somewhere.

The other guys have covered it pretty well. I had such a good time at my first rally, I let someone talk me into hosting the next one. The details of that are pretty fuzzy but I think it started around the camp fire one night when Rob said something like, “I think mike and I are going to put in a bid for next year.” To which I replied, “we are??”

LOL

6. Ironman03R

Ironman03R Full Access Member

It's early, but I'm going to try and make this one. I hoping to have a new truck by the spring, but worst case scenario I can rent one. I know the f150 will never make it there pulling 33' camper! Lol

Thewespaul likes this.
  7. Jimbanjer

Jimbanjer Registered User

It’s only a couple of hours from me so if the budget allows me to get my truck driving by then, we might at least come for the weekend! If not, we may just take the gasser just to see everybody else’s trucks!

chillman88, laserjock and Thewespaul like this.
  8. laserjock

Don’t let your truck not running keep you from stopping by. I drove my RAV4 to my first rally to meet and hang out for a few hours. We don’t discriminate... much. LOL

9. Ironman03R

Ironman03R Full Access Member

Yeah, I've showed up in a few different vehicles over the years. Some gassers, some diesels. My IDI days are over but I still hang out here!

10. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well our worst case and still make it plan is the wife's Jeep so "run what you brung" lol. Better off making it and having fun without your truck than not making it at all!

hesutton likes this.
  11. Comptech

Comptech Full Access Member

This is not very far from my brothers.. and I will be attending a rally there the following weekend with my military truck.. I can bring an IDI but it may be of the GM brand..lol.. or tow it with the Ford. I promise the Chevy won't infect anybody's truck.

12. Comptech

Hmm..4.56s..no overdrive..37 inch tires..1 ton.. maybe we'll do some towing now that I think about it. I figure it'd be about a 7 hour drive for me in the military truck.

laserjock and Thewespaul like this.
  13. laserjock

First thing my buddy said when I told him where it was was “that’s a long trip in the unimog.” If I could tow it for I would but I don’t have a trailer that will handle it. He was coming last year and ended up having to go on travel for work. We were hoping unimog rides would be an event.

14. Comptech

Unimogs are the most unique vehicle that I have ever been around. I didn't realize there were so many different variations.

15. laserjock

It’s basically a tractor. Many different flavors. His was a department of the interior truck imported through Case. So it has its own special brand of weird.