Oil Pressure Gauge reading way low

Minuteman96

Reaction score
I’ve had this problem for awhile now, even on the previous motor that was in the truck. truck runs fine, I know it’s got oil pressure, but man this gauge bothers the hell out of me. It reads low, like just over the left white line low. It never goes below that, sometimes it’ll go above that, but consistently, that’s where the gauge stays; Just above the white line. I know they’re powered by a switch, I replaced the switch and it didn’t change a thing so I assume something with the wiring/voltage supply. Time to just buy an aftermarket gauge? What brands do you guys recommend? I’m stuck between Autometer and Isspro. Thanks in advance.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
My old mans truck has the same issue with two different engines. I'm sure its something dumb like a bad ground or something but I ended up installing a secondary gauge. One day when driving it the cluster gauge finally went down to zero and the red engine light came on, but thr aftermarket gauge still showed good pressure.
Just ford things -Playme

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my '93. I screwed in a ford pressure sensor (from a different ford engine) and jumped the resistor in the instrument cluster - should have done it years ago.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had this problem for awhile now, even on the previous motor that was in the truck. truck runs fine, I know it’s got oil pressure, but man this gauge bothers the hell out of me. It reads low, like just over the left white line low. It never goes below that, sometimes it’ll go above that, but consistently, that’s where the gauge stays; Just above the white line. I know they’re powered by a switch, I replaced the switch and it didn’t change a thing so I assume something with the wiring/voltage supply. Time to just buy an aftermarket gauge? What brands do you guys recommend? I’m stuck between Autometer and Isspro. Thanks in advance.
You are on the right track, do not rely on the factory gauges. That goes for the temp gauge also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online