Oil pan removal to check con rod bearings?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm s till trying to track down my terrible knocking noise so I was thinking of removing the oil pan to see if any of the conecting rod bearings are somehow loose or a wrist pin has some play. First is it possible to tell either of these things from pulling the oil pan?

What is involved in removing the oil pan? Does the cross member have to come off? New gasket?

Thanks,

-Rob

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Been there; done that. You will be way ahead if you can pull the engine.

You need to rasie the engine and block it up. Remove the oil pan bolts and let it rop--THEN slither your arm inside the space between the pan and the block and unbolt the oil pump, and let it drop into the bottom of the pan. The rotate the engine slowly as you remove the pan. You have to crank the engine to make the crank throws clear the pan.
That's what the book says. What they don't say is that you need to fabricate a wrench to reach the bolts, and that you need to develop an extra joint in your wrist that is oreintated 90 degrees to the original wrist joint. You also need to wear a bump cap becasue you will keep hitting yor head on stuff. You may swear and curse. Drinking beer makes it all worse.

I also love, " Assembly is the reverse of disassembly"
That means as you offer the pan to the engine the oil pump is lying in the bottom of the pan. Do you see how deep is the oil pan? Yes, it can be done, but if you have the facilities to pull the engine, you will be ahead of the game.

snoredog

Reaction score
same here

I am gonna pull the engine as soon as I find something to do it with, Harbor Freight has the sweet folding engine hoists for like $150, but that may have been a Christmas sale deal going on. You could just pull the body off before you pull the engine like i did. Makes everything way easier to get to ;Sweet

Attachments

• truck project 007.jpg
    truck project 007.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 21

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am gonna pull the engine as soon as I find something to do it with, Harbor Freight has the sweet folding engine hoists for like $150, but that may have been a Christmas sale deal going on. You could just pull the body off before you pull the engine like i did. Makes everything way easier to get to ;Sweet

Ohhh yea, that looks way easy ;Really

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online