Oil in intake

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I need some clarification of how this works. i am getting a ton of oil in my intake. So much that it is leaking out and making the top of the motor a mess. Where is all this oil coming from and is there anything that I can do to stop it, or at least slow it down?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think about the seals on that turbo. I suggest it should at least be considered on an engine with not excessive blowby, good power but very excessive oil consumption.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When was the last time you replaced the CDR valve??? Does it have lots of blowby???

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get rid of the CDR and switch to an RDT. At least temporarily to diagnose your issue.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the oil is coming through the CDR. When its running and I pull that hose off the intake I get a pretty solid column of smoke. Doesn't get any better or worse when I rev it. I could have some oil leaking out the turbo seals too but who knows. Probably going to just have to park it again and start going through stuff. I haven't figured my mileage but I know its not much. All that power is going somewhere and it ain't the ground.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because you see a pretty good stream of smoke doesn't mean excessive blowby especially before the CDR valve. In my experience revving the motor only makes any difference on blowby with the CDR hooked up and looking through the oil filler neck. Does this thing start well and have decent power?

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its starts fine most of the time but the power sucks. I have been pulling my 5000lb. tool trailer and it will barely pull it. I am springing leaks left and right. Right now I am so pissed at it its back in the garage. I got taken for a ride by the guy that sold it to me.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Power is most likely a timing/fueling issue. I wouldn't condem anything but the pump and injectors until they are replaced.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just put new injectors in it so it shouldn't be that. I really want to put a pump on it anyway cause I like to do it all at the same time. The thing that has me most frustrated right now is all the leaks. I can't take it to any of my customers houses with it leaking and its springing new ones faster than I can fix them. I think the guy that I bought it from must have put a bunch or stop leak in it or something cause I find it hard to believe that all this just started.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of leaks? Fuel, oil, tranny, or coolant or all of the above? Did you replace the return lines with the injectors? Oil leaks could be water pump, front main seal, valve covers, anything in the turbo plumbing, rear main seal. It sucks to get taken for a ride, I know you spent good money on this truck, if it was sold as a project and tired old warhorse for 1000 bucks I bet you'd not be complaining. I would say you need to check the compression to see if its within limits and if that checks out be on a mission to fix your leaks and get the timing set(with tools) to 8.5*BTDC with the pulse method or 1-2ATDC with the luminosity method.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I gotta get everything cleaned up and start tracing leaks. I did all new return lines and injectors. I think next step is a new pump. After that see where my power is at. I love working on this trucks but I like working on them cause I want to cause I have too. When I am constantly worried about breaking down it takes the fun out. Not to mention I could have done a lot with the $7400 I paid for it.