oil in antifreeze...still

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i havent been on here in a while but you all are very helpful everytime i ask a question. Some backround information is 93 f350 7.3 idi n/a cc lb drw 4x4... it has a jasper reman (unfortunately) tag says 185hp model. I bought it a while ago and was a idiot.. didnt realize there was oil in the coolant. Posted here and researched problems that would cause this (oil cooler orings and gaskets / having a bad cooler) so i replaced the o rings and gaskets. Thought problem solved.. nope still loosing oil into the coolant. Then searched again and found out i might have nicked the o ring causing a leak again.. s i replaced it a second time, still loosing oil. So i hapoened to pickup anoher complete 7.3 idi 185 hp n/a for cheap and took it apart to rebuild and drop in as a replacement. Long story short funds are tight and thats put on hold. So i looked at that oil cooler. ABSOULTELY NO TRACE OF OIL AND ANTI FREEZE MIXING.. So i assumed that that oil cooler off the spare had to be good. Replaced o rings just cause mileage and age are unknown. Put that "new" oil cooler in my truck. And again, its still mixing. Im getting really really sickof this and dont know what else to do next. Is it possible its a headgasket? It starts and runs good.. it doesnt really smoke (any more than any other straight piped stock idi) or maybe i have a crack in my block.. imnot sure im guessing at this point.

Any input is greatly appreciated thanks in advance

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotvit clean tothe point that every so often id see a small clump of oil float by here and there each time i cleaned it. It was days of running it with dishwasher soap.. draining it and repeating the process.. even vacumed it out with a radiator flush machine.. now its back tobeing like 2 inches of muck and in the overflow. And my oil level on the dipstick keeps running low

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm, is there a way to figure that without raking it apart.. like pressure test the coolant? But even that still wont tell me where its leaking from..

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just dont want to pull it apart, replace the headgaskets and pay for head studs and a machine shop and still have the 2 mixing.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Wait and see if someone else suggest something, but that's about the only left.
Head gasket or oil cooler are it. I really don't think a block Crack could do it.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like cavitation so I'd say head gaskets too. You can usually tell when you pull the heads off what has been going on. I'm more experienced with gas motors but the principle is the same. It hasn't been overheated has it? I would still have the machine shop test the heads, but unfortunately this happens on these motors. Ask me why I'm rebuilding...

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cavitation puts water INTO oil....not OIL into water...

HG can cause the issue, so can a crack in the block but it's likely something to do with coolers or UNFLUSHED material.

Do you have petcocks in each side of block for draining block? If not then maybe time to get onto that and start properly flushing it

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not drained it by the block,only thing i dont understand is regaurdless of the fact i drained it wrong. The oil is dissapearing on the dipstick... so wouldnt that still mean i never fixed the problem?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does drainig the block stop the transfer from oil into antifreeze?
it doesnt if it's still leaking but if it's not leaking it can be trqapped in block so draining block is preferential to not....how do you know u got it all out unless you get it all out really....but if yer oil is going down then ya...non issue really