Oil filter relocation

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I'm trying to find an adapter to relocate the oil filter on a 7.3 idi.
Most filter relocators are too small to work with the larger thread on the idi oil filter.
The reason is we swapped in a 7.3 into an M37, and the PTO shaft for the winch needs to go where the oil filter is now.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you can find just a remote filter adapter for a 7.3 powerstroke to relocate a single filter, you should be in luck( same filter threads, many of us run PSD filters on our IDI's, larger capacity and better filtration ) , so far I haven't found any single filter adapters like that. Only thing close is a permacool sandwich adapter I saw on Summit's site that runs cooler lines off a sandwich adapter but still keeps the filter in place under the adapter. You might be able to make a block off plate for the filter portion and mount your filter off the hoses for the cooler lines Here it is It says it fit's a 6.9, but you'd have to double check the part number with Permacool, because that thread size doesn't look right unless that's the outlet thread size and it runs a smaller filter on the other side.

Amsoil does make a dual remote filter kit with a filter and a bypass filter on it, for the 7.3 powerstroke. and that filter kit isn't cheap ( lists about $ $322 ) and it is designed to be used with synthetic ( and i would think one of their modern light wt synthetics would be the appropriate choice for that setup). That may not be a realistic choice due to your location. If you think it might, PM me, I may be able to help .

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could try and find an oil cooler and driver's side exhaust manifold at a junkyard. They are different than the F-series parts and may give you the clearence you need.

Heath

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You could try and find an oil cooler and driver's side exhaust manifold at a junkyard. They are different than the F-series parts and may give you the clearence you need.

Heath

Did you mean to say a Van oil cooler?
That's a possibility, but I don't know how much. Hopefully a van person will chime in, but I think the only difference is that it points the filter to the rear instead of to the front. Unless it aims it out to the side, I don't know how much that's going to gain him for a PTO shaft running by

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. I've seen one of those setups. Not sure how available they are though.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
got a 6.9 out of a van in my garage i can picture and measure if that helps.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I forgot to type E-Series oil cooler above........OPPS!:sorry: :oops:

My 7.3 was from an E-series and the oil cooler and manifold (and a few other things) are different secondary to the space crunch in the van chassis. As far as how much......a few inches higher up and it is a different angle for the filter.....from what I remember anyway.:dunno I changed those for F-seires parts off the 6.9 I pulled from the truck.

Heath

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
doesent ams oil make a filter relocation kit with a full flow and a bypass

Yup, that's the one I was mentioning in the previous post . However the hose diameter on that kit is quite a bit smaller than the oil passeges in the engine at the filter which is why I personally wouldn't run one of the things on one of these engines unless it was using one of their newer light wt synthetic diesel oils. I would be quite comfortable with that combination, but I wouldn't want to be pushing dino oil through that thing. The hose is only 1/2" on that kit.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it was Jerry Miller who was running the one I saw. I don't believe he ever had any problems with it. I would assume that if your oil presure reading didn't change, that it would not be affecting the flow.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perma cool makes a remote mount kit for the 6.9/7.3. The remote mount holds 2 FL1As and 1/2 inch hose to the adapter.
I had to use this on mine because the pumpkin is right below the filter. If I can remember where I got it I'll post back. It might pay to give summit a call and see if they can get it for ya.

Dennis

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I believe it was Jerry Miller who was running the one I saw. I don't believe he ever had any problems with it. I would assume that if your oil presure reading didn't change, that it would not be affecting the flow.

A number of the folks running the things on powerstrokes reported oil pressure changes some in upwards of 30 psi.
Granted this was on the older kits. About 2 months ago they upgraded their kits to have larger diameter hoses and fittings ( hose used to be 13/32 ID, now it's 1/2" ) so this issue may have been solved. Especially considering that 1/2" is about as large as you're going to find on any remote setup.
I just wouldn't want someone to jump into one without having both eyes wide open, especially given his location. I'm not badmouthing the Amsoil bypass filter setups, Far from it, I've got the things on a number of my vehicles and have been running them far longer than most folks have even heard of the things ( been using and selling the stuff for over 25 years ) and they work great. I just believe folks should know all sides of the story before jumping in, and have to consider where the guy lives, due to location, some things might not be practical.

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input,
I just checked out both Amsoil, and Permacool.
I can get the dual filter relocation kit from summit. I'll probably go that route because of the ease of getting proper filters.
I'd like to run the Amsoil setup, but Filters would probably be a pain to get.
It will be a trail truck, so probably won't see too many miles to warrant a high dollar filtering system though.

The engine is out of a Van, but the filter is still in the way of the pto shaft.]

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take some pics of the setup. If I like it enough, I might install it just because right now with my other mods, changing the filter is the only reason I have for crawling under the truck. Oil changes are accomplished like this.
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726