Oil filter and wrenches??

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i went to the dealer this morning and no valve and not too much surprise.
Cheaper than ****** auto parts though.
I will be picking up the larger, newer, bigger, better filters here shortly.
Getting educated more each day. Someday I might learn. . . .

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I believe that the FL784 was the filter that was called for on a 7.3 IDI. I thought you were wanting a PSD filter. I'm using the FL1995 filters on my truck (soon to be trucks). Personally, I don't care one lick about the extra quart of oil capacity. I just want the better filtration that the PSD filters have.

Yep they get put on both of mine. Although this last RV oil change, I finally used one of those Rotella PSD filters I got on clearance a couple years ago because it saved some money. I still have one or two more of those filters left. I paid something like $2-3/each for them from a WM. Considering I do oil changes about every 2500 miles on the RV due to the heavy load and often dusty desert conditions (at least during the past 9 months), saving $8 per oil change a few times helps.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Considering I do oil changes about every 2500 miles on the RV due to the heavy load and often dusty desert conditions (at least during the past 9 months), saving $8 per oil change a few times helps.
Most of the time, it probably takes you a while to get that 2500 miles too.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Most of the time, it probably takes you a while to get that 2500 miles too.

Hmmm dang, I forgot to log the last one. I did it due to time more than miles, it had been about a year. It's been about 1300 miles though since a few months ago. But I have been driving a fair bit for the first time in years. I finally quit buying a new vehicle/trailer every year (F250 in 2017, crappy travel trailer 2018, motorhome 2019, cargo trailer/scooter 2020) so I have a bit of extra money for fuel now. Plus those COVID payments helped. I paid off the "motorhome" loan (it was a cash loan but I used it for the motorhome), have a few thou in savings, and only have $400 left owed on a credit card (no interest until early next year). It hasn't been as hot as they predicted so I haven't had to buy much extra gas for the generators. I get by with fans mostly. So I avoided spending $80+ on gas for the sake of air conditioning in this very dry climate.

I drove way more in June than I wanted to but it worked out ok. I should have plenty of extra dough next month due to my planned camping spots being all pretty close and I'll have that AT&T network hotspot for extra data coverage.

Last edited:

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oregon.
Not quite the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Uh. . .
Western Oregon. It has a UFO that comes out once a year.
it's called "The Sun".
Water in these parts is pasteurized.
It flows from pasture to pasture.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I use the following

Rhino ramps

Cement pan and put a 5 gallon bucket in the middle.

Oil filter pliers

I just losen the filter and let it drain for a minute. Then grab with disposable gloves and a couple paper towels. Pour out in the bucket and put in a zip lock bag with some paper towels and dispose of it.

Pull the drain plug and drain the oil in the 5 gallon bucket. Put a lid on it, set in a trash bag just in case, and take to the auto parts store for disposal.

I also use the FL 1995 with Delo. I change every 3k mi. As stated above always coat the filter seal with engine oil before installing. I always go hand tight vs trying to make tight with a tool. I put in 3 gallons and usually am right there on the stick. I burn about 2 quarts per oil change. I only add oil if I go below 2 quarts.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The FL784 is the 7.3 IDI filter, this is the Wix # and info on it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I like the oil bucket. Did you put a drain into it? Or just pour off the side?
My auto parts store has a large tank with a big grate over the hole. So I just carefully take off the lid and pour it out. But have meant to find some lids with the pull up rubber pour spouts and caps to help insure I don’t spill at the auto parts store. The cement bucket under the 5 gallon bucket catches 99% of the splatter, drips, oil running off my gloves. Also a place to set oily tools till you are done. And god forbid your filter did leak, it would catch all that.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
None of the filters for this application have an anti drain back valve. Neither the powerstroke or the IDI filters have them.
That valve is important on the 4.6l and 5.4l gas engines. Not sure what a 6.0l, 6.4l, or 6.7l diesels are doing. I always wonder what those quickie lubes put on 5.4l and 4.6l engines.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I use one of these oil pans. Very handy for changing the oil in tiny Yamaha EF600 generator too since you have to lean it over to get the oil out from the filler. Very little mess. Just have to wipe down the big yellow funnel.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12 .5 quart. 12 quarts in the truck engine doesn't leave much room. That cement pail might work out for the hyd oil change on my tractor. It holds 6 gallons and comes out really quickly.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
12 .5 quart. 12 quarts in the truck engine doesn't leave much room. That cement pail might work out for the hyd oil change on my tractor. It holds 6 gallons and comes out really quickly.

It's perfect for IDIs. 10qts is the capacity of an IDI with a stock filters. 11qts is the capacity with a PSD filter. Unless you are overfilling your engine, it's fine.

It gets emptied into the newly empty jugs that were just used to refill the crankcase. Then I can just drop off the jugs at WalMart where they just have you sign a book at they take the jugs.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a bit interesting. My '94 7.3 idiT, according to the stick, will take the entire 12 quarts to fill with a OEM filter.
Wrong stick?
Next change will be to the PSD filter just due to the extra length that might help facilitate removal not to mention the better filtration material of the filter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online