Oil filter and wrenches??

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As hard as it is to believe, I've run into two oil pans that held two extra quarts of oil (compared to most) to show full on the stick. Both engines had the right dipstick in them too. I don't even have a guess as to how/why they were like that.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I never fill it to the full line. I fill it about 3/4 to full since the oil will expand some when hot. Seems to use right about 11qts that way. But, I fill the filter so that's why 3/4 full on the stick without starting it is about right in my opinion. That method has worked well for me for 4 years so far. Between changes, I don't add oil unless I see it below 1/4 of the way between add and full. If it's at half way or so, I leave it be for a bit longer.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what a 6.0l, 6.4l, or 6.7l diesels are doing.

I know for certain on the 6.0, and the 6.4 (The 6.7 uses a screw on filter that is not the FL1995) use a cartridge filter and the way the housing is designed, the housing holds the oil when the engine isn't running. There is a drain valve that is held closed by the filter cartridge, and it only drains out of the housing when the filter is removed to change it.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I know for certain on the 6.0, and the 6.4 (The 6.7 uses a screw on filter that is not the FL1995) use a cartridge filter and the way the housing is designed, the housing holds the oil when the engine isn't running. There is a drain valve that is held closed by the filter cartridge, and it only drains out of the housing when the filter is removed to change it.

Good to know!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
As hard as it is to believe, I've run into two oil pans that held two extra quarts of oil (compared to most) to show full on the stick. Both engines had the right dipstick in them too. I don't even have a guess as to how/why they were like that.
My truck seems to be that way, 3 gallons with a FL 1995 filter and I register a quart low.

But even being a quart over on a 11 quart oil pan is not going to raise your oil level much or cause issues. Now running 5 quarts in a 4 quart engine might mean your crank has to push through oil and that could put strain on a engine especially at high rpms.

I buy gallons of Delo at Costco so I find it just easier to add 3 whole gallons.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the question is, What is the proper oil capacity of a early '94 7.3 idiT?
This makes me wonder if the oil, potentially being overfilled, is high enough to cause aeration by crankshaft rotation?

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That just changed things a bit on this end. Expanding oil is a new one on this gasser boy. We have all seen hydraulic oil expand, ie, auto transmission, but engine oil expansion is a new animal in this end.
Fun times. Looking around my place I have come across a few new filters of various manufactures and none of them PSD filters. I need to get some of the PSD filters and change some of my past mistakes.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That just changed things a bit on this end. Expanding oil is a new one on this gasser boy. We have all seen hydraulic oil expand, ie, auto transmission, but engine oil expansion is a new animal in this end.
Fun times. Looking around my place I have come across a few new filters of various manufactures and none of them PSD filters. I need to get some of the PSD filters and change some of my past mistakes.
To be clear:

**PSD filter = PowerStroke Diesel filter

**I'm not claiming to know/understand how much engine oil expands when it's hot ... just that the service manual says "full line (on engine oil dip-stick) inicates full when hot".

I use the NAPA "Platinum" oil filters. They're built by Wix (this is NOT an endorsement).

Kizer
PS: Suddenly, I wonder if "dip-stick" will make it through PC review!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
. Expanding oil is a new one on this gasser boy. We have all seen hydraulic oil expand, ie, auto transmission, but engine oil expansion is a new animal in this end.
This is not because of the type of oil that's used in the engine. It's because of the larger amount of oil required when compared to a gas engine. An automatic transmission takes a larger amount of oil than a typical gas engine does too. That's why you have to figure in the expansion in our engines and an automatic transmission. To cheat, I check my oil cold and figure that half way up on the hatch marks is full. I keep the level between there and the lower mark when the engine is cold so I know that I always gave enough oil, but not too much. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this method, but it's the one that I use and works well for me.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This last oil change I left it a quart low. Next time around should be the PSD filter and 10.25 quarts and see what happens.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service manual says "full" mark on stick = full when hot.

So this engine has a evil dip stick that is not marked hot/cold when has a hot check stick like a most slush boxes, good to know now. Did find this on the subject tho...

9 quarts in the pan will show full on the dipstick.

Here is the oil checking info, It applies to the 7.3 as well.

OIL DIPSTICK (6.9L) - ENGINE OIL LEVEL CHECKING PROCEDURE

LIGHT TRUCK 1983-86 E AND F SERIES
In order to measure engine oil levels consistently and accurately, it is useful to employ the following recommendations:
¨ Park vehicle on level surface. Low oil level readings will be obtained if the vehicle is sloped away from the dipstick.

¨ Have engine at normal operating temperature as oil expands at the rate of one percent per 25~F (14~C) change and the dipstick is calibrated to the engine at normal operating temperature. In addition, allow at least a fifteen (15) minute engine shutdown period to assure that oil contained in the upper parts of the engine has returned to the oil pan.

¨ Have dipstick loop directed inboard as this eases installation and minimizes wiping action on oil level gauge.

¨ Read oil level on both sides of gauge and use highest level (reading) for the actual engine oil level.

Correct oil dipstick calibration can be verified by draining the engine oil and filling the engine oil pan with nine (9) quarts (8.5 liters) of oil. When the oil dipstick is properly seated, correct dipstick calibration is indicated if the oil level is within 1/16 inch of the "Full" mark.

NOTE: The area between the "Add" and "Full" marks represents two (2) quarts. As long as the oil level is between the "Add" and "Full" marks, no oil should be added. When the oil level does reach the "Add" mark, only one quart of oil should be added. If the oil level exceeds the "Full" mark, oil consumption could result.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember that the PSD filter adds +/- 1 quart of capacity...so you won't be surprised when you check oil level after change.

As stated above, there's some discrepancy regarding individual truck "needs" in terms of engine oil capacity.

My 6.9's and 7.3'***** right around 3/4 to full "on the stick" with a PSD filter and 10.5 "cold" quarts of oil.

Clearly, your results may vary. Put 9 quarts in 'er ... Wait 10 min. after new oil is in the truck and look at the dip-stick before you "pull the trigger".... It's hard to go wrong that way.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Perhaps oil does expand a far bit when hot but I believe the concept of checking you oil when hot is now the oil is spread around the engine. The oil filter is still mainly full, oil cooler is still holding oil, and oil is pooling in the heads and lifter valley.

So if you did a oil change without starting the engine and filled to full, after starting it would not register full again. In a 11 quart system not as critical, but in a 4 quart engine it could be problematic long term to be running on 3 quarts which was full after adding oil but before running the engine.

Now auto transmissions due seem to register different when warm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online