Oil Cooler

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking about doing the same thing on another forum, and they went crazy saying how stupid it was to even think that would work.

I still think with some planning it could be done.

No one said you were stupid just that it wouldn't work and it wont. An ccooler cooled by air is no where4 near as eficiant as one cooled by coolant also you would need a good fan to blow on your gigantic cooler you would have to use when ever the truck is moving at low speed.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I paid 32 for all four orings and another 6 for the gaskets here.

As for taking the cooler out, Ive done it twice now with removing a wheel, motor mount or exhaust manifold. Just unbolted everything under the truck and used a bar to pop everything apart. Cleaned it all up and out it all back in.

The last one, I pressed the rear header on using a jack against a piece of wood to push the bundle and header into the frame of a travel trailer(all I had at the time out in a field lol).

Put a towel over the crossmember to prevent any contact with dirty surfaces, I then fed the bundle and front header over the cross member and used a 2x4 to push everything together after the front header had been bolted on.

Its really not that hard and with some creativity it can be accomplished pretty quickly and easily. Heck, I did the last one out in a field in a few hours time with basic tools. The longest parts of the process had to be collecting the orings and cleaning the headers.

Just search the forum little tips and tricks to make it easier.

As for the orings, you should have the cooler with 4 not 6. It was only the early 83 or 84 bundles that had 6.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
No one said you were stupid just that it wouldn't work and it wont. An ccooler cooled by air is no where4 near as eficiant as one cooled by coolant also you would need a good fan to blow on your gigantic cooler you would have to use when ever the truck is moving at low speed.

Many 6.0 guys have totally deleted their oil coolers. I guess they have to watch temps if they are pulling though.

I just think that its a pain to work on the stock oil cooler, and if it ever does need replaced, whole oil coolers are insanly expensive. Expensive enough to probably warrant a really nice auxillery cooler setup utilizing coolant and an air cooler.

Basically here is what I am thinking. Get an automatic tranny radiator. Run the oil through that cooler in the rad (stock). Then run it through a auxillery cooler with a fan.

I would think that it would probably work okay, and be way easier to work on than the big monster that the oil cooler is.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So if you removed the stock oil cooler you still need to use the rear header because it has the filter mount and the oil pressure regulater and bypass in it. Then you need to fabricate a front blockoff plate with an oil line fitting in it so the oil can be directed to another form of cooler. Then it needs to be fed back to the rear header thats been modified. Maybe all this will make it work but.... Just seems like way too much work seeing the standard unit works fine. Just replace the o-rings every 150,000 or 200,000 miles. Call it prevenative maintance. Don't we do that with oil changes or brake replacements....:dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the subject came up, DO NOT use the black o-rings for the oil side that come in an overhaul gasket kit, they get hard and leak in 25k miles, mine just started.
Also replacing the cooler with an air type would be a huge pain in the ass and one that MIGHT do the job would be at least 200 clams.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many 6.0 guys have totally deleted their oil coolers. I guess they have to watch temps if they are pulling though.

I just think that its a pain to work on the stock oil cooler, and if it ever does need replaced, whole oil coolers are insanly expensive. Expensive enough to probably warrant a really nice auxillery cooler setup utilizing coolant and an air cooler.

Basically here is what I am thinking. Get an automatic tranny radiator. Run the oil through that cooler in the rad (stock). Then run it through a auxillery cooler with a fan.

I would think that it would probably work okay, and be way easier to work on than the big monster that the oil cooler is.

Alot easier to just replace the o-rings every 20+ years.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also an auto trans cooler would never flow enough, ALL of the oil on these goes thru the cooler.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you realize these engines pump about six gallons a minute. How would you fit 2" pipe around to a 1/2" inlet cooler?

Those O'rings in my pic post are the old ones, new one's are Viton.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Actually these motor pump 18.2 gpm of oil at 3000 rpm.. I don't think these motors would saty alive at 2 gpm...:eek:

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Oil Cooler is off and sitting in the garage with the front piece off now were trying to get the back piece off where the oil filter attaches! Any tips? Also the thicker Oring on the front was dry rotted and was busted.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Oil Cooler is off and sitting in the garage with the front piece off now were trying to get the back piece off where the oil filter attaches! Any tips? Also the thicker Oring on the front was dry rotted and was busted.

Get a vice, rubber mallet, and a block of wood, then just beat the crap out of it till it pops off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online