oil cooler

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a oil cooler from a mid 80,s 6.9 is the same as on on a 93 7.3?:confused:
Thanks
John

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
outside of the oil cooler headers, the oil coolers are the same except for the factory turbo model.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What about the 6 o-ring headers on the early 6.9s. And didn't Yaric post that the van bundles are about 1/4 inch longer? Maybe I'm all wet but its something to talk about.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the 6 o-ring headers on the early 6.9s. And didn't Yaric post that the van bundles are about 1/4 inch longer? Maybe I'm all wet but its something to talk about.
A 4-ring assembly will fit onto an engine that originally had a 6-ring assembly (and vice-versa, FWIW). But, the headers/bundle aren't interchangeable between the two (i.e. you can't put a 6-ring bundle on 4-ring headers).

And, yes, the van cooler is different. I forgot about it being slightly longer, but one of the headers has different passages into the engine. When you buy a gasket kit for the oil cooler, there will be 3 gaskets included. Two will fit; one won't (and which one fits and which doesn't depends on whether you hav a truck or a van).

Hope this helps :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 6 ring coolers, and would like to find a couple 4 ring coolers to replace them, since the O-rings for the 6 ring cooler are no longer available.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I have 2 6 ring coolers, and would like to find a couple 4 ring coolers to replace them, since the O-rings for the 6 ring cooler are no longer available.

Somebody explain this to me, they changed from 6 to 4 right? they dont sell the 6? so can the 6 take the 4 and work? help me understand this??:confused:

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
A 4-ring assembly will fit onto an engine that originally had a 6-ring assembly (and vice-versa, FWIW). But, the headers/bundle aren't interchangeable between the two (i.e. you can't put a 6-ring bundle on 4-ring headers).

And, yes, the van cooler is different. I forgot about it being slightly longer, but one of the headers has different passages into the engine. When you buy a gasket kit for the oil cooler, there will be 3 gaskets included. Two will fit; one won't (and which one fits and which doesn't depends on whether you hav a truck or a van).

Hope this helps :)

No, hang on guys. Here's the story. The van oil cooler headers are different as Warden says, but the bundle is the same. From what I could determine anyways. It was the powerstroke bundle that was 1/4 inch longer than the IDI bundle, not the van bundle. The vans and trucks that are IDI powered should all use the same bundle.

What happend with me, is i wanted to replace the bundle because i suspected it was bad, so i went on ebay and found a ford diesel oil cooler for real cheap, so i bought it, then when i got it, i tried installing it. It was exactly the same just a hair longer, so i emailed the person trying to figure out what the deal was, and then they mentioned it was off a 1996 truck.

I had completely forgoten to check out the year cookoo

anyways, that's the story, so the van and truck should be the same, except the headers.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate when that happens

It was exactly the same just a hair longer.:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
I hate when that happens.
Just had to get that in.
Thanks for the input
Thanks
John

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bundle and header

I am confused.
Wat is the header? and the bundle?
I thought the boundle was refering to the assembly.
the header is the end?

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
The headers are the aluminum ends -one on the back that holds the oil filter(also the oil pressure relief valve is in the rear header)-the other header is on the front of the assembly they hold the bundle (or as some mighe refer to it as the actual heat exchanger part of the assembly)it is full of tubes looking similar to a boiler so that oil can pass inside and water can pass outside the tubes transferring the heat from the iol to the coolant ,to be dissapated by the radiator to the outside air.So there are actually 3 peices to the oil cooler-2 headers and 1 bundle.
Hope this makes it clearer.