Oil Consumption Debacle

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran Delo in a fleet of 3208 Cats and NTC Cummins and never had an oil related failure. It was a red color back then, oddly enough.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm old skool. Delo 400 15-40. it's avail everywhere if I need it.
ran rotella briefly and got oil consumption issues. went back to Delo.
done.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, 5w40 is not thinner than 15w40 at running temperature. Burning a gallon of oil in 600 miles, it's hard to imagine it can be attributed to a type of oil.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I'd try dino 15-40 and see what happens, if consumption slows down with that, I'd run an auto-RX cycle

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine absolutly ate the rotella 5w40! About 200 miles to the qt. Dino 15w40 gets me about 700 miles to the qt.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 15W40 Mobil. The stuff is pretty cheap, especially if you can get the mail-in-rebate coupons they do every few months($5 off 1 gal, $25 off 5 gallons, limit 5 1 gals and 2 5 gals - so I buy 15 gallons of oil for around $8/gal).

I figure that on a worn IDI like just about all of them are, the heavier oil(and yes, it is heavier at lower-than-212F temps) will help with the leaks.
I've tried running 5w40 on a worn IDI and it just about leaked it all out really quickly.

On the other hand, I ran 5w40 for a bit on a newly rebuilt IDI and had no oil leaks or loss... so if your seals are in good condition, it's probably OK.

If you can't find any other cause for your oil leaks, it's probably rings - I just plain removed all the valve seals from my rebuilt IDI at one point with no extra oil consumption.
Remember, the intake is not under any real suction(and if you have a turbo, it's under pressure). A gasser has a major vacuum in the intake, so you have to limit oil getting sucked down the valve stems; an IDI not so much.

Last edited:

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
http://www.cenex.com/lubricants/commercial-fleet/oils/superlube-tms

that's what I run generally

sometimes I'll run the Maxtron DEO if I feel like running a syn blend
at one point I was running the Maxtron Enviro-Edge, but I didn't notice any difference, and full synthetic costs more LOL

The nice thing about working at the Cat dealer, I can use the analysis machine and do my own oil sampling

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I'm gonna try dyno delo and see if I have less oil loss. As said before I have no leaks of any kind and zero blow by at any rpm or temp so I don't think it is ring related.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must have the only IDI engine that likes Rotella. I've got 3500 miles on my current oil (500 miles overdue for a change, I know, I'm a monster), I added one quart at about 2800 miles and that's all it wanted. 315k miles on the engine, zero blowby, and the PO had no idea what a CDR is so that hasn't been touched since the truck was built. I figure if everything's happy, don't mess with it :dunno

@ OP : You mentioned you put a new CDR on it. Have you tried putting the old CDR back on?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ OP : You mentioned you put a new CDR on it. Have you tried putting the old CDR back on?[/QUOTE]
I haven't but I may try that, when I replaced the CDR it took away all the blow by from the oil fill cap but maybe it was the tube that was leaking....

Black dawg

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I'm gonna try dyno delo and see if I have less oil loss. As said before I have no leaks of any kind and zero blow by at any rpm or temp so I don't think it is ring related.

How did you check blowby? Due to HUGE ring end gaps, these always have blowby. I have had my crew cab since 170k, now 379k...blowby looks the same, but oil consumption has gone from less than half a quart in 3k to a gallon or more per 1k

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you check blowby? Due to HUGE ring end gaps, these always have blowby. I have had my crew cab since 170k, now 379k...blowby looks the same, but oil consumption has gone from less than half a quart in 3k to a gallon or more per 1k
Take the oil fill cap off while running, Ford says a little blow by at idle is normal as long as it goes away when you raise rpm