Oil change interval

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been aware of add on, bypass oil filters for a few decades. The first I encountered were for gas engines and used a TP filter. The bypass concept assumes there is excess oil volume available that can be channeled to a filter parallel to the engine oiling system without decreasing the volume of oil that is going to the lubrication channels.

Is the existence of available excess oil volume always a true assumption?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well, most bypass systems being a "bypass" not "full flow," they also have a restriction. So you aren't really losing anything. Won't affect the rest of the engine.
Those tp units (frantz) are still popular.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes that would be fine, but don’t put it before the turbo. The filter is so fine it will starve the turbo. You can y off of that line and use the supplied restrictor and be fine.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I am not allowed to respond until I have been given clearance from the moderator.
Just to check(with any mods who may be watching), but as a non-sponsor he could answer technical questions/answers like anyone else, just not 'advertise' his centrifuges, right?
So any general centrifuge answers would be fine, but anything specifically mentioning his OC-25 by name or his company would not be?

Edit: also, mod question but I can't PM him?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
but as a non-sponsor he could answer technical questions/answers like anyone else, just not 'advertise' his centrifuges, right?

For the most part, yes.
But posting link/pdf to said product, probably not. (And as he does have a link to his site on his profile)

Some of the little guys go through a lot to become a sponsor. So not really fair for others to come along all willy nilly posting about their product. Make sense?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that would be fine, but don’t put it before the turbo. The filter is so fine it will starve the turbo. You can y off of that line and use the supplied restrictor and be fine.

If you are suggesting a Y off the line to the turbo after the 0.060 turbo restrictor, that will not play because I have tuned that restrictor and anything taken from that line would be taking from the turbo.

I don't find any info on the "supplied restrictor". I assume it is a separate part. What is the orifice diameter?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are suggesting a Y off the line to the turbo after the 0.060 turbo restrictor, that will not play because I have tuned that restrictor and anything taken from that line would be taking from the turbo.

I don't find any info on the "supplied restrictor". I assume it is a separate part. What is the orifice diameter?
Which kit are you looking at? I like the amsoil kits, you would tee before the restrictor

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An IDI can weigh 9k? Is it a dually crew cab?

My 87 extended 250HD is (likely incorrectly) is listed as having an unladen weight of 4,662 on my Arkansas vehicle registration slip. That's probably a 1/2 ton, v6, 6ft bed, regular cab weight?

Whenever I move back to Washington state (I got the truck after I left) I hope they go by that, rather than their own weight listing. The heavier the truck, the higher the reg fee is. Plus if a diesel is over 6,001lbs, it's required to have an emissions.
my 87 F250 weighed #6500 at the cat scale. I evenvstripped it down as much as I could, even took out 1 battery.Had to weigh it to register it. No emissions test for mine in calif.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone sent in oil samples? Could kinds give us an idea as to how long we can let the oil go. I do mine around 3k.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The centrifuge is about $100 more than the Amsoil bypass filter kit. Is it worth it? What are the pluses and minuses of both? Mechanical complexity, chance for something to fail, Etc.