Oil change interval

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
my 87 F250 weighed #6500 at the cat scale. I evenvstripped it down as much as I could, even took out 1 battery.Had to weigh it to register it. No emissions test for mine in calif.

I'm registered in Arkansas currently. If/when I move back to Washington state, I probably won't need to get smog checked since my Arkansas title shows a weight, even if it's probably badly inaccurate. Over a certain weight for old diesels still require the test in WA.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but is WA state basically screwing over the older diesels based on weight? I ask because I've seen a surprising number of vehicles on the CA craigslist that have Washington plates. Just curious.

Well, WA let's you get a waiver if you spend something like $350 minimum trying to correct an emissions problem and it still fails, so it's not a death nail if it fails, but it does add to cost of ownership. I bought a 2003 car in Texas and it passed WA emissions just fine but it was a clean, Corolla engine (Pontiac Vibe) so yeah.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're getting too worked up about the emissions test... WA is an opacity test only for old diesels, aka the "snap test". (Dunno about new diesels)They just push the throttle quickly to the floor and see how dark the exhaust is with a special gizmo. That's it! At least it was a few years ago before I moved to unincorporated King County. No emissions requirement here. :D

So if sitting in neutral and you snap the throttle unless it makes a cloud of black smoke you'll pass. Worst case turn the pump down and try again for $15.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're getting too worked up about the emissions test... WA is an opacity test only for old diesels, aka the "snap test". (Dunno about new diesels)They just push the throttle quickly to the floor and see how dark the exhaust is with a special gizmo. That's it! At least it was a few years ago before I moved to unincorporated King County. No emissions requirement here. :D

So if sitting in neutral and you snap the throttle unless it makes a cloud of black smoke you'll pass. Worst case turn the pump down and try again for $15.
This is also the whole purpose of the Hypermax Smoke Puff Limiter. The fact that it's also useful for other drivability factors is a side bonus.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back on the subject of oil filtration. I have a 0.060 orifice feeding a remote turbo. The return is to the oil fill neck, so I can see the volume, and it is substantial. How about I insert a 2 micron, oil filter in the turbo feed line?

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can, but I would take a volume measurement at low temp, high temp, idle and 2500rpms with no filter then compare it with the filter installed, just to be sure you are not restricting flow.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can, but I would take a volume measurement at low temp, high temp, idle and 2500rpms with no filter then compare it with the filter installed, just to be sure you are not restricting flow.

I would probably put a low pressure gauge across the filter. It would measure differential pressure in real time. Ideally the gauge would never move. If it does, it is because the filter is getting dirty. That is why I have a vacuum gauge after the air intake filter.

And no, at the moment, I do not know where to get a low pressure, cheap, differential pressure gauge.

But this should work.
https://www.grainger.com/product/MIDWEST-INSTRUMENT-1-4-FNPT-Differential-Pressure-3GVC1

Last edited:

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a neat unit, but I think you’ll have more than 3.5 psi drop with even a fresh filter

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hm wondering why most peipeo say change oil at 3k intervals my truck sticker days 5k intervals unless it's a serve work load.

So 3k or 5.k a toss up eh

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3k under severe conditions and 5k under ideal. I definatly fall under severe.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3k under severe conditions and 5k under ideal. I definatly fall under severe.
I'm due for oil change truck has 5.5k since last oil change,figured some one could ever explain further

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin