Oil Burners turbo kit

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
i would look for a 24v cummins charger, 24v will putout more than a 12v, the 12v would still be good its just a tad bit less airflow.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
A 6.9 at 3750 rpm is moving 387.37CFM n/a, to get 20 psi we need 914 cfm. My Cummins at 3200 rpm will push 34 psi(Stock Intercooled H1C.) At 3200 rpm, if n/a it would only be moving 282.54 cfm, at 34 psi of boost it's moving 936 CFM, feeding that 936 CFM into a 6.9 would give us around 20.75 psi at 3750 rpm.

I think you forgot a key calculation of the expansion of the hot exhaust gases

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 7.3 powerstroke turbos have been tryed they boost about the same as the turbos designed for these trucks max boost wise but have a bit of lag. As for the 6.0 turbo it would work perfectly for these engines in the aspect of you could run 17psi from idle till the governor and I don't think adapting it to the prdistool would be too bad form memory it may bolt to the bedistool or be a close fit but the killer would be the fact that its a VGT and you would have to build a stand alone controller and install a boost and exaust back presure sensor I've seen it done on a OBS stroker with less than spectacular results. other problems with it is if you don't drive it every day and don't work it hard offten the vanes will stick.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as for the HX35 being a huge step up from the T3/T4 ATS uses I would dissagree to in theory you should be able to change out wheels compresor and turbine housing with about anything garret offered and the aftermarket offers I hear taile that ATS had garet change something on the centersection that makes it in compatable with other turbine housings but don't belive thats true as that would exponentialy make the cost of production go up. I do however agree that the HX35 would be a good cheap option for a home brewed set up due to the abundance of parts with a different turbine housing they make the heard of bees under the hood of a honda alot madder and faster.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not a real big fan of water cooled turbos, oil in water is bad and a seal in a turbo can go without notice. In extreme application water cooled is a must but, at that stage you are tearing everything down after a run. I havent seen a street application yet that strained the limits of oil cooling in a turbo, atleast in a proper setup that is.

I think they are separated by the casting itself so fluids mixing is not really a risk. I know some one that runs a modified 2.3L turbo diesel and he went from an oil cooled turbo to a water cooled turbo and swears by it. The water cooled turbo is actually OEM for the later version of the same engine. Aside from eliminating cool down times he says they last much longer (3x longer at least).

And diddo on the chrysler turbo cars in the 80s. I got these off some one that had such a car.

Although I still don't know if its worth using because my impression is smaller turbo engines tend to run higher average EGTs than our big displacement diesels. I figure it would be pretty easy to plumb in however with a tee off the heater hoses.

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fleece Performance has stand alone controllers for 6.0 turbos, and should have one ready for VGT Holsets by the end of the year. No idea on prices, though.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
i am sure a lot of turbos will work. my thought is that the hx35 is widely avaiable and inexpensive to rebuild and are a good fit for the IDI.

@george about 6.0 charger, the variable turbo is exactly why i dont think it would be good.

obviously if you can find a psd setup that will pretty much bolt up you are in the money yet, i am seeing so many members comment on not being able to find them or that they may be beyond their budget. this is why i am suggesting a OB collabrative effort for an IDI turbo setup. My vote is for basing it around the hx35.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you forgot a key calculation of the expansion of the hot exhaust gases

I'm referring to compressor sizing only, hot side calcs are completely unrelated when it comes to that, changing the size of the turbine housing changes the rate at which the compressor increases speed and creates more flow(spool time,) but, it does not affect what the compressor is actually capable of flowing.
I was just making a basic comparison to show that a turbo that is capable of making 34 psi on engine A, while flowing the exact same amount of air may not make that same pressure on engine B

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
I'm referring to compressor sizing only, hot side calcs are completely unrelated when it comes to that, changing the size of the turbine housing changes the rate at which the compressor increases speed and creates more flow(spool time,) but, it does not affect what the compressor is actually capable of flowing.
I was just making a basic comparison to show that a turbo that is capable of making 34 psi on engine A, while flowing the exact same amount of air may not make that same pressure on engine B

you are quite correct sir. I think the hx35 delivering roughly 30-35psi in a 5.9l cummins would be right in the sweet spot for a 6.9 or 7.3.

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
im going to get a hold of a 99 model PSD Garrett turbo and the up pipes and thinking of having a muffler shop bend some pipes to attach to the collector on the exhaust manifold and if need be bend the up pipe to curve along the back of the motor like the psd and have it all welded together. but i am going to make a mount behind the intake to be able to mount the pedestal and have it drain to the valley pan and then go from there.............or would it be better to go for a smaller psd turbo ?

Last edited:

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
im going to get a hold of a 99 model PSD Garrett turbo and the up pipes and thinking of having a muffler shop bend some pipes to attach to the collector on the exhaust manifold and if need be bend the up pipe to curve along the back of the motor like the psd and have it all welded together. but i am going to make a mount behind the intake to be able to mount the pedestal and have it drain to the valley pan and then go from there.............or would it be better to go for a smaller psd turbo ?

depends on where you want your boost. i like a lot of boost up high, i dont really care about lag so...........

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'd really like to see someone follow through with this!

I have not seen a Banks kit or the other T4 kits up close, but I have delbt with the HX, H1C and HY turbo's quite a bit in the past. For those with the T4 flange style turbo kits how hard would it be to bolt one directly up? I have an HX35 and HY35 on my workbench would it help if I posted up some dimentions? My consern is the down pipe. THe compressor housing is larger and won't likely work with the intake hat, but I'm thinking it would be best to go with an intercooler in the long run anyway :dunno

If I didn't have the worthless ATS slip coupler up pipe I'd probably be trying to make something work but right now I have nothing to go by except for the turbo itself :D

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
I have not seen a Banks kit or the other T4 kits up close, but I have delbt with the HX, H1C and HY turbo's quite a bit in the past. For those with the T4 flange style turbo kits how hard would it be to bolt one directly up? I have an HX35 and HY35 on my workbench would it help if I posted up some dimentions? My consern is the down pipe. THe compressor housing is larger and won't likely work with the intake hat, but I'm thinking it would be best to go with an intercooler in the long run anyway :dunno

If I didn't have the worthless ATS slip coupler up pipe I'd probably be trying to make something work but right now I have nothing to go by except for the turbo itself :D

i set mine next to eachother before installing the banks mistu, the flange is the same, the vband is also the same diameter but the hx35 has a thinner lip on the vband. the compressor is bigger for sure but not by a ton.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
the vband is also the same diameter but the hx35 has a thinner lip on the vband. the compressor is bigger for sure but not by a ton.

So if one were to cut the flange off say a Dodge down pipe and weld it where the Banks flange is it would mount up (assuming the exhaust housings are the same length) to the pedistal and bolt to the down pipe? Sounds too easy...

If thats the case here is my question: How hard would it be to make a Banks kit copy minus a turbo? Again I haven't seen one up close for over ten years. For the intake side I'm thinking intercooler or a simple "U" pipe or something...