offroad diesel anyone?

weedsabate

Reaction score
Last load of off road red I had delivered. I asked what it was, supplier said it is ULSD reg #2 pump fuel with dye added!!! Just adjust the price a little. I run 50% wmo, out here in CA they do a litmus paper test dipped in your tank at the scales to see if you are running red.Have not been checked, hope the black overrides the dye. Rather doubt they would do a chemical test, more than likely just visual. I know the ULSD is ******* seals, had to have the inj pump resealed on my JD backhoe.

aggitator

Reaction score
Off road is the same as the stuff you buy at the pump,but when they load it to deliver they add the dye to it. Same stuff different color with out the road use taxes..That all!

Falkor

Reaction score
There is still a truck stop here in Buffalo that sells LSD plus its the cheapest around so I fill up there all the time ;Sweet

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i wonder if we mix black 2 stroke oil into the tanks which will turn it black, there is really no way to tell unless they actually chemical test it?

What do you think?

weedsabate

Reaction score
I am thinking that any color to overide the red, would work, seems to me that they would not go chemical test route. Unless there is a simple field test, just my thoughts, I could be wrong.

st6psycho

Reaction score
tell them ur burning used trans fluid lol.. its red ?? but b4 u tell me let me guess its illegal to compress that stuff to lol

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
i have a daunting fear that i am actually getting worse mileage some how on off-road? This darn truck is starting to make me mad. Its a love hate relationship. I think that i am going to have to break down and buy some new injectors i guess. With new injectors i should expect to see my mileage increase by 3mpg or so i would hope?

you're probably getting worse mileage for a number of reasons...
1. Cold temperatures require more fuel to make the engine go.
2. Cold temperatures create more drag on an engine.
3. I bet you're warming it for a period of time, rather than in the summer, just hopping in it and heading down the driveway.
4. Most diesel fuel is "winter blended" so it lights a little easier, but at the same time, has less energy
5. Off-road fuel has different properties (cetane, anti-microboal, etc) than highway diesel
6. WVO, WMO, SVO, etc are not "fuels"
BTU values are not consistent, controlled, nor controllABLE; neither are cetane ratings, etc.
Hell, you could burn candle wax in one of these things if you could get it to the right temperature. Coal dust was the original fuel Rudolph Deisel used..

Replacing the injectors may result in a slight mileage increase, but I would caution you to NOT replace them for the sole reason of increasing fuel economy.

You're best bet on that one is to reduce how much drag is exerted on and by your truck.
And slow the f*** down.
5% reduction in speed = 3% increase in fuel economy.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha. I like your analogy on that. Good reasons. I would think that the blueish black color from the 2storke oil would give you a good point to stand on, and say its a lubrication additive!

But seriously though my state is pretty on the ball for letting us using alternative fuel and home-brew biodiesel free of charge. I wonder if there is a website that has the laws and specs for the use of alternative fuels by state?

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I've added 5% filtered WMO (filtered to 1 micron absolute) to red off-road diesel.

Even at only 5% it is more than enough to change the color. It turns the fuel a dark gray/black instead of red.

I only did this as an experiment, of course. Running this kind of fuel on the road would be illegal... ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online