Official 1977 Ford F-350 Ranger XLT Camper Special Supercab build

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
This will be my official thread for the rebuild of my truck. There are 2 plans which are being put into action. Plan 1 is to rebuild and refinish it. Plan 2 goes into affect when the truck is rebuilt... and that is to swap in a 6.9l IDI Diesel and a 4spd.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is what i started out with. Its a solid truck i picked up for $2,500. Trucks got a 460/c6. Only about 64,000mi, which isnt too bad

Reason i bought it was its a dually... well, its got an 80's dually kit on it... looks perty cool

Now for the work. Got it home thanks to a buddyat the beggining of the summer for $60! Now, the average flatbed wrecker service here in ontario is $3 to the km... there was a 270km gap between where it sat and where "home" is...

When i got it home i slowly... then at a good rate... worked in it, slowly tearin it apart and gettin the back down to the frame. Dont mind the pic below here... dont know how to get rid of it ohwell

Started sanding the frame down, getting all the old undercoating off.. Some was still very much attached and didnt want to come off. When it did come, it revealed NEW FRAME! not a spec of rust on it.. it felt awsome to have a truck this clean... especially since its 36 years old and it lived in canada all its life.

I needed a dually diff, so i went out and picked this up for $500...

Its a 1974 Ford F-350 Custom wrecker (not a custom made wrecker, custom model, like ranger xlt). Its got a 360 and a 4spd T-18. Pretty cool truck actually. Its got a Weld Built wrecker body with a Holmes boom. Boom heights adjusted by a manual hand crank and the main winch runs off of a PTO from the tranny.

I can salvage the engine, tranny, diff for my truck, and most if the interior stuff.

Attachments

• Diff 015.JPG
    Diff 015.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!! Great find!! Cant wait to see the progress pics on this! I had the same truck years ago but was tu-tone brown. Loved it...serious rubber layin machine!

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
Here's what i hope for it in the future when the Diesel swaps done...

and heres the colour scheme i picked using Factory colours...

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Don't see many of these older trucks on the road. Subscribed.

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
UPDATE! 19/02/2014

HOLY $#!%!!!

I'm sorry for everyone everyone whos been following this thread, I totally forgot about it

OK, So everyone remember the Tow truck? Scrap. the rear axle was too narrow as I didn't realize that the regular trucks had a frame width of 37in... Cab & Chassis trucks have a frame width of 34in +/-. so it went to scrap....

I did find a Sterling 10.25 out of a 1994 Ford F-350 that bolted right in without a problem.

Got the entire frame and axle sanded, primered and painted. I covered the frame in Rubberized Asphalt undercoating to help keep it nice and clean for the long haul

Once that was all done, I moved to the front end, basically ripping it apart. New bushings were installed in the repainted Radius arms. Basically everything in the front end got repainted, even taking the Coil springs to get them Powder Coated. New brakes were bough and the calipers were painted.

I bought some AutoGlym Paint Renovater and all I can say is....

WOW!!! It did an awesome job!! took about 2 days of a lot of elbow grease, but it worked amazingly!

Bought a Diesel Donor vehicle in the fall of 2013. Its a 1989 Ford F-250 XL. Ext cab, Long box. Its got a 7.3l IDI with a ZF-5.

Im (surprisingly) the second owner of this 95% rust free, 547,XXXkm beauty!! Picked it up for a good deal too, no blow by, very VERY well taken care of, only needs tires and an exhaust and its Golden! Here are a few more pics...

So far I've added rear mudflaps, a hood ornament, CB, taken the "old man" runnin boards off, and removed the old ladder racks that were on the Cap.

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
Best part of the Engine???

Banks Power Pack Intake lid!!! Straight from the 90's! Has a Banks Exhaust on it to... but its got like 5 holes in it and moves in 3 different places cause its rotten. But anyways, that was before... and here's after... Did all the work myself in Auto class.

Looks real clean.

Well Ya'll, yur probably wondering "what mods have you done so far??"... unfortunately, I done have the Cash for em yet... I can barley afford tires... but I can tell you this. A lot of my planned mods involve using R&D IDI Performance products, as they are really, the only IDI performance guys available. I seen somewhere on a forum that someone had made Custom rockers... but anywho...

Stayed tuned for further updates.... and I PROMISE I wont forget this time.