Off road diesel fuel

IHOlRed

Reaction score
so i am the head mechanic at a golf course and we use dyed diesel and i was wondering if i would get in trouble for just having it in one of my tanks if im using the other tank for on road driving.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The only way to do it is to itemize you mileage(Kinda like IFTA, on big rigs). I can't imagine it is worth that PITA.

The other option is to keep track of the gallons used, and pay the taxes. That requires keeping tax receipts in the vehicle, in case you get checked.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always been told that the "dip stick" that is used to check tanks looks for the chemical marker of the dye, not the color. If so oil wouldn't help.
I have no verification on this rumor, I'm just passing it along to stoke the paranoia:rotflmao.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I have always been told that the "dip stick" that is used to check tanks looks for the chemical marker of the dye, not the color. If so oil wouldn't help.
I have no verification on this rumor, I'm just passing it along to stoke the paranoia:rotflmao.

That is correct. Changing the color won't mask the chemical of the dye.:dunno

pmelah

Reaction score
they always go after commercial vehicles (big rigs) ive never seen them check pick-ups

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
they always go after commercial vehicles (big rigs) ive never seen them check pick-ups

DOT cops like to hang around farm auction events.
The law **** changed that all of the farm trucks, no matter the gvw, must have dot numbers displayed on the vehicles...................

Apparently it makes it easier for em to traffic stop to dip the tanks since them new diesels are too quiet.:rolleyes: