OBS With strange symptoms

Bakersk896

Reaction score
It also threw a code for P0603 (KAPWR interrupt) stating that power was interrupted to the computer. It says if the battery was disconnected recently, don’t worry. Very possible that it’s a fluke due to me undoing the battery previously. Truck is currently running and I’m waiting for it to shutoff. I’m not if it’ll do it when no load has been applied. We shall see. HPOP looks good though so does ICP sensor.

Bakersk896

Reaction score
Decided to replace the fuel filter again due to the Autozone brand one literally flexing due to the ****** cap design. Also took some advice from some guys back home and replaced the CPS. The wife and I went on a two truck drive and we drove the hell out of the PSD. No issues at all. Think it may actually be fixed this time.

Bakersk896

Reaction score
Well it’s not fixed. Truck died pulling into the parking lot on the base I’m stationed at. I’m convinced it’s a fuel issue. Doesn’t make sense unless I’ve got a leak that can’t be found but I’m ordering a fuel pump and filter kit for the frame rail. What’s the best in everyone’s opinion? And where the best place to get tank pickups from?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright. This isn’t good. Truck is still acting up. It’s only when the truck is fully warmed up and has run for about 15-20 miles or more. It acts like it’s running out of fuel. The key switch was bad for sure but not the culprit of this issue. Now to pull my chip to see if that’s causing the headache. I’m afraid it might be fuel pump or worse. The CEL comes on still after shutoff but clears when the truck is restarted. My code reader won’t connect to this truck since it’s a 95 and not a 96. Any more suggestions gentlemen?

Do you get anything besides just the CEL when the truck dies....such as other indicators similar to when the ignition is switched to on (WTS, etc) ? Could very well still be the chip acting up.

If it still occurs with the chip removed....

Stalling with a CEL indicates something that the PCM can monitor. It doesn't monitor fuel pressure. If you think it is fuel pressure try checking the screen on the side of the fuel bowl for debris. Has the fuel regulator ever been rebuilt?

When the truck stalls again, immediately remove the inspection port on the HPO reservoir and see if the oil is no less than 1" from the top. If it is your LPOP could be failing and not able to supply the HPOP with oil causing the stall...which would act just like running out of fuel.

Other possibilities....weak injector o-rings that begin to lose pressure as the engine warms up
....faulty CPS
....faulty IPR

Ideally you should get a scanner that can monitor and log what is going on when it dies so you don't keep throwing parts at it. I use autoenginuity and it paid for itself many times over when dealing with issues.

Bakersk896

Reaction score
I appreciate the info @greenskeeper . I can’t get the truck to die when the scanner is hooked up. It’s the weekend now so I can spend some more time driving with the scanner logging everything.

Bakersk896

Reaction score
So looks like my chip is the issue. Took a lot of driving and testing to prove it. Not sure if it’s the connection at the computer or if it’s the chip it’s self. Really want the chip but not excited to buy another.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the info @greenskeeper . I can’t get the truck to die when the scanner is hooked up. It’s the weekend now so I can spend some more time driving with the scanner logging everything.

So looks like my chip is the issue. Took a lot of driving and testing to prove it. Not sure if it’s the connection at the computer or if it’s the chip it’s self. Really want the chip but not excited to buy another.

Glad you found the issue.

I'm not 100% sure but the scanner might override the chip when hooked up?

What brand/style chip is it?

If you're going to dive back into another chip, I like the hydra as you can download tuning and load the chip if you need adjustments from the vendor. I use totaldieselperformance on my 99 and use his economy chip 90% of the time,

Bakersk896

Reaction score
@greenskeeper

I’ve been running a TS 6 position with a swamps tuning I bought from the diesel shop here in Norfolk. I need to pull my computer and see if I need to repair the contact pads on the computer board.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@greenskeeper

I’ve been running a TS 6 position with a swamps tuning I bought from the diesel shop here in Norfolk. I need to pull my computer and see if I need to repair the contact pads on the computer board.

How long have you been running the chip before the problems arose ?

Bakersk896

Reaction score
So I decided to try my chip again today just for ***** and giggles. Ran fine and super strong for about 45 minutes. It cut off in the driveway and started right back up. Died again at the gas station around the corner. Immediately pulled the chip and the chip, cable and computer is fairly warm but not extremely hot. All those indications normal? Or are those worth looking more in to?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I decided to try my chip again today just for ***** and giggles. Ran fine and super strong for about 45 minutes. It cut off in the driveway and started right back up. Died again at the gas station around the corner. Immediately pulled the chip and the chip, cable and computer is fairly warm but not extremely hot. All those indications normal? Or are those worth looking more in to?

sounds normal

did the truck run fine after removing the chip? No issues without the chip installed?

could be something related to the tuning and how much it "works" the engine compared to stock. I'd be thinking IPR solenoid, etc.

Bakersk896

Reaction score
Things still blowing my mind. I’m gonna pick up another chip with a standard ts tune instead of the Swamps tune and see how it does. It runs fine for hours without the chip. The strange part is that even on the stock position it has died before. I pulled the computer and recleaned the board connections. I may lay a solder bead on each run to build up the contact surface a little.

Don’t worry, I’m a federally certified electronics repair inspector. Lol

Bakersk896

Reaction score
@greenskeeper ever heard of high voltage causing issues? My voltmeter reads pretty high but haven’t confirmed it with a fluke or Forscan after running it what the reading is. When I’m cruising on the highway, it reads almost on the higher red line. Could be the voltage regular going out and regulating high due to zener diode breakdown.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online