OBS Overheat!!!!

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, weird update. I drove it 30 miles with it teetering on H. Never overheated but when I got to the destination it was steaming and the video I posted happened then. I let it cool down and filled it with 4-5 gallons of water (all I had). And drove it back the same exact route and it never got above the r in normal. What's happening!? I'm confused.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super weird. I let it idle for a good hour after I got home and it stayed in the middle of normal.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two questions: 1) Have you looked at the front of you radiator to see if the fins are clean? 2) When was the last time you changed your thermostat?

I like to gamble: I'll give you two to one odds your thermostat is bad.

Maybe just had a air pocket.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7.3 PSDs have a degas circuit, which means it shouldn't need to be purged of air.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time you are running hot, put your hand on the top hose of radiator and compare the temp to the bottom hose. If you are hot on top and cool on the bottom, its not your radiator, its a flow issue, most likely thermostat. If you are hot on bottom and hot on top then you need to clean your radiator.
Giving problems then randomly behaving sounds like thermostat too.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm out of town for a couple of weeks so when I get back that thermostat's getting changed. It can't be the water pump because it will cool properly at times and the water pump won't fluctuate performance like that, Neither would a radiator. So the thermostat seems the most likely culprit. Thanks for y'alls input. I will post my results when I get them.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have said thermostat first - If you aren't getting enough heat into the radiator, that heat won't flow by the fan, and the fan isn't going to get hot enough to engage...

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't get hot for an extended period and then show no symptoms whatsoever. It seems more likely it was an air pocket

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I just tried to go to work 2.5hr a way and it's overheating again. Just like y'all said, hose on top is too hot to touch and bottom is warm but not hot at all

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go get a thermostat, and pay attention to the stem length as you've changed your water pump and there are two versions. I believe your 1995 should have come from the factory with the short length as they changed to a longer version in 1996, but either water pump can be installed. Come to think about it: that really might be part of your problem. Unfortunately, you can't really trust taking your old one out and matching the length because you changed the water pump, and could have put the newer version which takes the longer stem length thermostat. Lots of history on updates, 195 versus 205 degree, short versus long stems, etc

Google is your friend, do some reading, but at this point I would highly suspect you have a bad thermostat. If it was me I'd do everything to verify the correct stem length and put a Motorcraft only part in it.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not changed the water pump. But who knows who has and when.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how do I know which one is right? Will one work and one not?
Also what are the motor craft numbers for each one